Mixing and adding new salt water

Raven09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally posted this general post but now it has changed to more of a chemistry post, I think. If you need I can copy and paste my previous posts on this problem?

I read somewhere that you can take your measurements after the salt has totally dissolved? I’m waiting at least 2 hours after salt has totally dissolved, just to be sure.

Measuring salinity with ATC refractometer. My test equipment is:
Hanna for Alkalinity - Phosphate - Calcium
Red Sea for Magnesium Pro
What test equipment should I use for Potassium?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different salt mixes take different amounts of time to mix. I'd check the directions on the box

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always let mine mix over night now. I use coral pro. If I measure 2 hours after and again the next morning I get 2 different readings.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always let mine mix over night now. I use coral pro. If I measure 2 hours after and again the next morning I get 2 different readings.

If the water is clear, and nothing is precipitating out, the only things that can change with more mixing are gases such as O2, N2, helium, CO2, etc., and pH and ORP, since they are impacted by gas exchange,

Changes in things like calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium are either test error, or the result of incomplete dissolution and/or precipitation.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water is clear, and nothing is precipitating out, the only things that can change with more mixing are gases such as O2, N2, helium, CO2, etc., and pH and ORP, since they are impacted by gas exchange,

Changes in things like calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium are either test error, or the result of incomplete dissolution and/or precipitation.
I was only referring to my salinity. Coral pro takes a little bit to clear up. I know better than to argue with you.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back