Mixing Basslets

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a swissguard basslet and was wondering if it would be ok to mix with a dejongi basslet? I know they are both from the basslet family but they are quite different.

Also if anyone has info in care for swissguard I'd love to hear about your successes. I've read as much as I could have on google but would like to hear from people that have actually owned one.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a swissguard basslet and was wondering if it would be ok to mix with a dejongi basslet? I know they are both from the basslet family but they are quite different.

Also if anyone has info in care for swissguard I'd love to hear about your successes. I've read as much as I could have on google but would like to hear from people that have actually owned one.
As long have you have sufficient space, u will be fine. They can be territorial but they do not claim a large territory. You might see some aggression so u have to keep an eye on them.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swissguards are very shy fish. They hang around caves and likes to swim in and out of rock work. They are easy to feed. They r very peaceful fishes and can be bullied by big fishes. Don't keep them with other Liopropoma species or with dottyback.

OP
OP
T

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a big enough tank should be fine IMO. Neither are particularly aggressive fish. And would make a beautiful combo.
My tank is about 50g. Here’s my guy!

Attachments

• 7F11D55C-1413-48BE-8918-B697708410A6.jpeg
    7F11D55C-1413-48BE-8918-B697708410A6.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 26

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Swissguards are very shy fish. Don't keep them with other Liopropoma species or with dottyback.

agree with the first part and the last part….
but liopropomas can be mixed.

jake (rip) had some wonderful videos up on reefbuilders where he was mixing liopropomas.
they’re going to be a bit territorial and there will be some locking of jaws…
but they eventually work it out and live together.

i do not know how the gramma will react though…
different sort of basslet.

op could always use an acclimation box though

OP
OP
T

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had him for 4 days. First two day he was very shy and hardly ate and I was pretty worried. Now he eats like a pig and eats mysis and brine. Also cruises around rock work which is really cool

OP
OP
T

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks great! Basslets are my favorite fish right behind Angels and Butterflies. How long have you had him? Does he eat everything?
I've had him for 4 days. First two day he was very shy and hardly ate and I was pretty worried. Now he eats like a pig and eats mysis and brine. Also cruises around rock work which is really cool

OP
OP
T

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with the first part and the last part….
but liopropomas can be mixed.

jake (rip) had some wonderful videos up on reefbuilders where he was mixing liopropomas.
they’re going to be a bit territorial and there will be some locking of jaws…
but they eventually work it out and live together.

i do not know how the gramma will react though…
different sort of basslet.

op could always use an acclimation box though
Just watched the video. Looks like he has 3 basslets all living peacefully together.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back