Mixing bin has become a nitrate factory.

Had a similar problem years ago. Replaced the gray can with a white food grade can. Problem solved. A local reefer advised me the non food grade containers leach causing nitrates.
 
Had a similar problem years ago. Replaced the gray can with a white food grade can. Problem solved. A local reefer advised me the non food grade containers leach causing nitrates.

I’m not convinced that is true for Brute cans. I cannot really see what would be in polyethylene that would leach out and boost nitrate. FWIW, I have used more than a dozen of them.
 
Update- I have done two things since this problem became apparent to me
1. I installed a new filter into my furnace
2. The brute can I use for a mixing bin came with a lid. In the past I always kept the hose and pump that I pump the water into the tank with in the can at all times and used it to mix the salt with the fresh water and I would use a pair of plastic clamps to the clamp the end of the hose to the rim of the barrel to keep the hose within reach, while convenient this did prevent the lid from snapping on and sealing against the bin 100%.
I have since stopped using the clip so the lid can seal completely against the can.
It’s still early but it seems to me this has corrected this issue of the water being contaminated with organics.
I have also picked up an API ammonia nitrite and nitrate test kits
I have been testing the water frequently and at multiple time length intervals and have not gotten any readings out of the water in the bin since adding the filter and using the lid.
I also tested the water in the tank with these kits to establish some kind of baseline and verify they work, the nitrate test kit also afforded me the opportunity to verify my Hanna checker nitrate tester is working as it should. With the api kits getting roughly the same readings as the Hanna checker Within reason of course they don’t follow each other 100% there is always a degree of variance in the readings but they are close enough in my opinion.
I will continue testing and of course if anything comes up or I have more information I will update this thread.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new