Mixing calcium and strontium

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

So I was wondering if, similar to red sea's calcium+, if I can mix calcium chloride (such as the BRS stuff) with something like ESV strontium chloride into one bottle. If so, any idea as to how I can go about this in terms of ratios?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can mix them.

I personally think strontium dosing is not useful, but it gets consumed at a ratio of about 100 calcium to 1 strontium.

I discuss it here:

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can mix them.

I personally think strontium dosing is not useful, but it gets consumed at a ratio of about 100 calcium to 1 strontium.

I discuss it here:

I read that earlier (and a few times before haha). I am sorta on the thought that its either like you said that corals use it "by accident" instead of calcium, or that it is a means to get rid of it (by placing it, similar how it is thought that early life may have made first exo skeletons with phosphate but went extinct as it wasn't as available as something like calcium carbonate), or that it acts as a way for corals to have more elements that they can use for their skeleton as to not limit them to just calcium.

Regardless, I figured its something that is probably not harmful by any means to have at least some. I have been reading a lot lately to try and figure out everything that I would like to dose in my tank. I am currently satisfied with using seachem reef builder for alk and chaetogro for trace elements (and magnesium as this seems to keep that up) (it also seems to contain what I read in a couple of macro algae phytochemical analysis papers). I also dose red sea iodine (trace color A), with iodine, bromine, and fluorine, though usually less than 0.5ml a day (I dose this as from what I understand it is a common element in macro algaes). However I was debating whether to continue with red sea calcium plus or to try and use calcium chloride with strontium mixed in the solution. My only concern is that I would have no clue how much of the strontium to mix into a 1 gallon container of BRS calcium chloride. The reason for switching is simply that its cheaper.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that earlier (and a few times before haha). I am sorta on the thought that its either like you said that corals use it "by accident" instead of calcium, or that it is a means to get rid of it (by placing it, similar how it is thought that early life may have made first exo skeletons with phosphate but went extinct as it wasn't as available as something like calcium carbonate), or that it acts as a way for corals to have more elements that they can use for their skeleton as to not limit them to just calcium.

Regardless, I figured its something that is probably not harmful by any means to have at least some. I have been reading a lot lately to try and figure out everything that I would like to dose in my tank. I am currently satisfied with using seachem reef builder for alk and chaetogro for trace elements (and magnesium as this seems to keep that up) (it also seems to contain what I read in a couple of macro algae phytochemical analysis papers). I also dose red sea iodine (trace color A), with iodine, bromine, and fluorine, though usually less than 0.5ml a day (I dose this as from what I understand it is a common element in macro algaes). However I was debating whether to continue with red sea calcium plus or to try and use calcium chloride with strontium mixed in the solution. My only concern is that I would have no clue how much of the strontium to mix into a 1 gallon container of BRS calcium chloride. The reason for switching is simply that its cheaper.

Sounds like a fine plan. :)

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back