Mixing Clowns?

thomasdo87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, not sure if this is considered mixing clowns, but probably is...but want to make sure. Would I be able to put Onyx Clowns (Amphiprion percula) with Picasso Clowns (Amphiprion percula) in the same tank? Thank you

Mariner

NARC Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they may "scrap it out" but not any more so than any clowns of the same color morph. As long as they're the same species, color variation won't matter much. Of course, having more than two mature clowns of nearly any species in the same tank can cause issues.
HTH,
Mariner

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a pair of picassos and maroons living together right now and have never once fought. I also kept a pair of black clowns and a pair of regular occ clowns in the same tank without issue except one of the blacks paired up with one of the orange. :D

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a buddy with the black ones , the naked ones, the normal orange ones all in one tank. if anythink the best way to introduce them all at the same time / time frame. dont let them get to settled before you add the rest. the ORA ones seem to do well togethers in the same tank.

OP
OP
thomasdo87

thomasdo87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh interesting. I guess I can try first with a breeder net and borrow my friend's QT tank in case. Thank you everyone.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Mariner said, the compatibility of clowns is greatly influenced by their maturity. Putting two females together in a small space will be disastrous regardless of coloration. If you happen to have two juveniles, you'll have a much easier time getting them to coexist. In other words, smaller clowns will give you a better chance.

and FWIW, christosclowns had a spawning pair of mixed percs. The female was onyx and the male was a picasso, I think.

Just how many did you plan to keep together? I was assuming that you meant one of each.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thomasdo87

thomasdo87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to just hold them in a breeder box until I get my other tank cycled. The fish won't come in until next week and I've been cycling the rock for about a week, just waiting for the AA tank to come. I also threw in some sponges in my sump for a AQ 30 to run a 10g tank also, if needed.

On another note, hopefully people will still see this without me starting a new post but is this normal behavior for clowns? They are juvenile Picasso A's.

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg184/fastandsneaky/?action=view&current=MVI_0366.flv

They do it and then stop for awhile and do it again. Seems violent. Should I separate them? Normal?

Thank you
fastandsneaky

OP
OP
thomasdo87

thomasdo87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was concerned so I was debating on separating them, but I decided to contact Doni Marie, the person I bought them from, because she would know for sure and said that unless they are actually injuring each other, I shouldn't separate them. Because they are probably determining the sex. They still butt heads but seem to be getting along a bit better. But so far so good.

autoponicz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just recently put 2 juvie true percs in my 10g...
the smaller one was beating up on the slightly bigger one...so i seperated them and put the mean 1 inside a breeder box...left him in there for 2 weeks....and they seem to have stopped fussing with each other...(trying to get at each other through the plastic box)...so i finally let him back out...but the smaller one was still fiesty...but i left them in the tank and gave them some time..hours later....the bigger one had grew balls and started fighting back!lol...now the bigger one is the alpha..and hosting my RBTA...these little buggers are so funny...

Back