Mixing different Anthias

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 4 female Randall's Anthias in QT treating with metro for white stringy poop. Am planning run copper and prozipro later the course of QT. I am thinking getting more Anthias in groups before the copper treatment so I can QT them at the sametime. What would be good different Anthias for my current Randalls? And should the new Anthias be all female? I am looking at Dispar or Resplendent Anthias. Am leaning more to Dispar since I couldn't tell the difference between Resplendent and Randall's.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend dispars. Randall's and resplendent are sister species, so very similar looking. Dispars are different enough, but still a good social fit with Randall's.

All females is ideal for these species.

OP
OP
coweyes298

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

Another question:

I have a 48 x 24 x 20 display tank plus a 30 gallon sump that has been running for almost a year a half. Medium rock work.

Current live stock :

1 x Blue Hippo Tang (3.5 ~ 4 inch)
1 x Powder Blue Tang (3.5 ~ 4 inch)
1 x Formosa Wrasse (4 inch). In transition to adult right now. Most of its juvi coloration is gone.
1 x Midas Blenny (4 inch)
pair of snowflake clown
1 x flame hawk fish

I also have 4 female Randall's Anthias in QT right now.

Was thinking to add 4 more anthias to the list (total of 8 anthias), but don't know if it is going to be too crowded for the tank.

I know the Formosa and PBT, perhaps Blue Hippo will eventually outgrow the tank. But want to see your guys opinions of stocking ideas.

Thanks.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

Another question:

I have a 48 x 24 x 20 display tank plus a 30 gallon sump that has been running for almost a year a half. Medium rock work.

Current live stock :

1 x Blue Hippo Tang (3.5 ~ 4 inch)
1 x Powder Blue Tang (3.5 ~ 4 inch)
1 x Formosa Wrasse (4 inch). In transition to adult right now. Most of its juvi coloration is gone.
1 x Midas Blenny (4 inch)
pair of snowflake clown
1 x flame hawk fish

I also have 4 female Randall's Anthias in QT right now.

Was thinking to add 4 more anthias to the list (total of 8 anthias), but don't know if it is going to be too crowded for the tank.

I know the Formosa and PBT, perhaps Blue Hippo will eventually outgrow the tank. But want to see your guys opinions of stocking ideas.

Thanks.
I don't see an issue adding the 4 more anthias.

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got 3 Randall's Anthias and they are doing awesome. I've never had much luck with Anthias but these took to eating LRS reef frenzy right away. I stick it on the side of the tank and get they get right in there with the rest of my fish and go to town ....

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My percula chased them around a bit when I first added them but now everyone is fine.
72e757548ce792972856caa0e1b87a4b.jpg
61b48cc3d1b78e279d56a63db0bdd37f.jpg

OP
OP
coweyes298

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. I got luck with recent Randall's Anthias too. Right out off the bag to QT these little guys start to eat pellet! Lost one overnight which I couldn't find any clue... The remaining 4 are eating and hanging in QT well, except a smaller one got bullied to the corner by two of the larger Anthias several times during the day. I am looking to have 4 more dispar to add to this QT group since 4 original Randall's are eating pellet. They might be introducing to feeding response for the new addition Anthias.

Knock on wood.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast (and other Anthias experts) what are your thoughts on mixing Ignitious Anthias with Bartletts Anthias? If doable, would 3 small females of each (6 total) be OK? my hesitation would be with Bartlett aggression and if the 2 males would be expected to clash.

I’m stocking from scratch a 75 gallon DT.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast (and other Anthias experts) what are your thoughts on mixing Ignitious Anthias with Bartletts Anthias? If doable, would 3 small females of each (6 total) be OK? my hesitation would be with Bartlett aggression and if the 2 males would be expected to clash.

I’m stocking from scratch a 75 gallon DT.
I find bartletts are a bit aggressive for ignitus.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Squammis, kashiwae, huchtii, mortoni....

Thanks again. Any small (3.5 or less) species that would mesh well with the Ignitious? Ideally looking for a pinkish/yellowish Anthias to contrast the more orange Ignitious.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again. Any small (3.5 or less) species that would mesh well with the Ignitious? Ideally looking for a pinkish/yellowish Anthias to contrast the more orange Ignitious.
Randalls, resplendent, parvirostris, evansi, flavoguttatus, smithvenezi.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would 3 Ignitious and 3 smithvanizi be a good idea in a 75 gallon display? I’d intend to get all small females. I’ve heard about male/male aggression being an issue. Would that be a concern here?

With the smithvanizi being a deeper water species, any qualms about adjustment to a high light tank?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would 3 Ignitious and 3 smithvanizi be a good idea in a 75 gallon display? I’d intend to get all small females. I’ve heard about male/male aggression being an issue. Would that be a concern here?

With the smithvanizi being a deeper water species, any qualms about adjustment to a high light tank?
They will adjust to brighter light. But they can be picky at feeding. Having the ignitus in the tank will help them take food.

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back