Mixing Nitrate Dosing Solutions

JamieC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello...quick question. I have DIY potassium nitrate and sodium nitrate solutions that I dose to raise my nitrates. Can I combine these solutions in one container for efficiency sake? Was thinking of going 2 parts sodium nitrate and 1 part potassium nitrate...but wasn't sure if there would be a detrimental chemical reaction. It's been a while since chemistry class...but I don't think those 2 compounds have any inclination to react with one another.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello...quick question. I have DIY potassium nitrate and sodium nitrate solutions that I dose to raise my nitrates. Can I combine these solutions in one container for efficiency sake? Was thinking of going 2 parts sodium nitrate and 1 part potassium nitrate...but wasn't sure if there would be a detrimental chemical reaction. It's been a while since chemistry class...but I don't think those 2 compounds have any inclination to react with one another.

That mixing is fine, but I'm not sure why you'd elect that ratio. If the purpose is to not impact the sodium to potassium ratio in the tank, a mix that is about 25 parts sodium nitrate to 1 part potassium nitrate is closer to the needed ratio.

That said, if the purpose is to increase potassium using this method, then the ratio you elected may be fine. ;)

OP
OP
J

JamieC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you RHF...was hoping you'd chime in. I honestly had no clue what the best ratio was....just that the Na was better than the K. I've always dosed DIY KNO3 solution...but read something you wrote that NaNO3 was better because of the amount of Na already in the tank. Maybe I'll go 10 : 1. It'll still be way better than purely dosing KNO3.

OP
OP
J

JamieC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.....or should I just go with purely sodium nitrate? Don't know why I feel attached to dosing the potassium solution...just been what I've dosed forever.

LimestoneCowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not at least occasionally checking potassium, then I'd stick to 20:1 or no potassium. :)
@Randy Holmes-Farley , any reason you know of why the on the shelf Nitrate solutions include all 3 Sodium/Calcium/Potasium? I wasn't sure why mix them per above if you didn't want to bump Ca or K. I've always just used NaNO3, but figured I would ask. Thank you as always!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing nitrate that is then consumed boosts alkalinity. Using calcium nitrate adds calcium and alkalinity in the same ratio as calcium carbonate, so will not cause any short term imbalances and is perfect by itself, if you can find it adequately pure. Once you have calcium nitrate, there’s no advantage to adding any other cations, IMO.

A ratio of about 32 parts by weight sodium nitrate to 1 part potassium nitrate will keep sodium and potassium appropriately balanced to one another. Some additive might use these two.

Back