Mixing red sea coral pro

Cory p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some red sea coral pro salt. I seen it says not to mix longer than 2 hrs. I have about 25 gallon and I let it mix for 2 hrs but there's still lot of salt that's in there and water isn't clear. What are the steps you guys are doing when mixing red sea salt. I was buying water from Lfs but recently started making my own salt and switch over from instant ocean to coral pro. I'm gonna do small water changes every few days cause I don't want to shock my tank because of the different parameter from the 2 different salts

OP
OP
Cory p

Cory p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pump in there,nice size one to move it around really good

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird...I've used the blue and black bucket. Mine mixes within 15 min with a little salt on the bottom so I move the pump to suspend it. It doesn't take more than 30 min for mine to mix in. Did you get a bum batch?

OP
OP
Cory p

Cory p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk what's going on. I watch a video and the water was Crystal clear after he mixed it and mines still has quite a bit of salt in it. I'm making ro water right now,gonna mix in 5 gallon bucket and see how it comes out

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I mix is a 5 gallon bucket but you wouldn't think that makes a difference. How fast do you add the salt? Maybe it's too fast and solidifies before it's able to dissolve?

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using RSCP for years, never had this issue.. some reason i thought the window of using it was 30 minutes to 4 hours, not 2...but i could be wrong... i SHOULD, but don't even use a circulation pump, and it still mixes very well just from moving the water around every 5-10 minutes. maybe you'll have better luck with a smaller batch. mixing 25 gallons in a single container your gonna need some good circulation to mix it up.

By the time the salt is mixed the water should look practically speaking crystal clear

OP
OP
Cory p

Cory p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The container that I mixed the 25 gallons in has a big pump inside of it,I moves a ton of water

Ruckus16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix 15 gallons at a time. I mix for 2 hours and by that time it is clear and dissolved. I then add my heater and continue to circulate until it reaches my desired temp. Usually another hour. I mix half a cup of salt to a gallon of water and very slowly sprinkle it into the mixing container.
Never had any issues with RSCP

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rscp should be mixed with room temperature water, no more than a few hours. mixing too long or even too vigorously can make it cloudy. same with using heated water.

Jeffrey Ryan Roecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix 15 gallons at a time. I mix for 2 hours and by that time it is clear and dissolved. I then add my heater and continue to circulate until it reaches my desired temp. Usually another hour. I mix half a cup of salt to a gallon of water and very slowly sprinkle it into the mixing container.
Never had any issues with RSCP
I was just wondering what the cup per gallon is for red sea. I know I.O. is 1/2 cup. I just got the small bucket of the reg. Red Sea and not the pro.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this happen to me sometimes with Coral Pro. Once the water clears up after initial mix and Im checking the salinity level I normally take an algae scraper with a longer handle and just hand mix the little bit of salt that settles out in the bottom. I'm mixing 10g at a time.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix up 10 gallons at a time in a Brute container that's Food grade for 2 hours with a Colbolt MJ-1200 & an @Apex PNUMP circulating the water and i am good to go!! Then I let my Neptune DOS take it from here.. Very Stable numbers..

TANK INFO:
150 MIXED REEF

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix Red Sea. Coral Pro in a Brute trashcan using a cheap power head to stir. Start the powerhead before adding salt, and sort of sprinkle the salt in vs. dump it in. Usually very clear in 30 min.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back