Mixing Saltwater - should I be testing it?

adamf83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Mixing my own saltwater for the first time and managed to achieve 0ppm RODI and get to 1.025 salinity, which I am happy with. Not sure if I should be testing the water before it eventurly ends up in my tank, so I did anyway.

Everything was showing 0, but my pH was showing in the region of 8.7, usually when I test the water in my tank it's around 8.2. Not sure if that's an issue or not, or why it might be high.

Any advice/suggestions would be welcome.

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually just test to make sure salinity matches my display tank, and temp matched before I do a water change. Carbon dioxide in your tank will affect the PH. So depending on how big of a water change you're doing, it shouldn't affect it much. 8.7ph does seem a tad higher than what we aim for, but will most likely change once it's mixed with your tank water.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Mixing my own saltwater for the first time and managed to achieve 0ppm RODI and get to 1.025 salinity, which I am happy with. Not sure if I should be testing the water before it eventurly ends up in my tank, so I did anyway.

Everything was showing 0, but my pH was showing in the region of 8.7, usually when I test the water in my tank it's around 8.2. Not sure if that's an issue or not, or why it might be high.

Any advice/suggestions would be welcome.

As already said, everything looks good. Fresh air affects PH, which is why it is probably higher. I only test for salinity.

Back