Mixing Tangs

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have 3 tangs in different tanks, a yellow belly blue hippo, a clown tang and a blonde Naso.
The Nas is biggest, then blue hippo then clown. I think I am going to sell on the blue hippo as he is a bully to other fish. I want to put the blonde naso and the clown tang in together.
I want to get opinions on it first as I won't be able to get him back out.
Do these guys get on ok?
The Naso is a great tang in my experience, bothers no one. The clown I have heard can be nippy, but he is half the size of the naso, and he is going into the nasos tank.

What do yous think?

OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put them all in including the hippo imo hopefully your naso establishes himself as the boss
I think the Yellow belly would win. But hopefully between the Naso and the clown tang, the naso will come out on top, given he is twice the size.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually you'll likely hate the clown Tang as they are just punks the older they get. From aggression to food hoarding and eating tank mates. I don't know many that have a clown north of 6" that don't loathe it.

I'd keep the Naso, sell the hippo and clown ava backfill will a few that will play well with others.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually you'll likely hate the clown Tang as they are just punks the older they get. From aggression to food hoarding and eating tank mates. I don't know many that have a clown north of 6" that don't loathe it.

I'd keep the Naso, sell the hippo and clown ava backfill will a few that will play well with others.
Agreed! My blue tang was a total ****** I finally got tired of his shenanigans and took him back to LFS. I highly recommend an orange shoulder tang in place of the clown. Much better temperament. Mine is a big softy lol. So yeah take lost in the sauces advice here it’s sound.

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown Tangs a beautiful but they get very aggressive fast. I have a Hippo Tang, Powder Blue Tang, and Naso tang in my 300G. The PDT is the boss of the tank. He even bullies my Clown Trigger. I'm going to add a Desjardini and Purple tang to complete the Tang Gang!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size is your tank?

I have always loved and wanted a clown tang. there beautiful however I have never heard good things about them. not sure if that is just people repeating what other have said, like I am doing here..lol or from personal experience. i reckon it's both.
its a bummer as they sure are nice looking fish.

stovenut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clown tang for 3+ years in a 240g tank with atleast 5 other tangs. He was a model citizen. I took the tank down during a divorce. Sold the clown tang to a reefer who also had a 240g tank. The clown tang began killing his fish starting with his achilles tang day 1. He had 1 heck of a time getting the clown tang out without destroying his reef. I was so sorry to have sold it to him. (Sorry Tony!) I learned from that experience that clown tangs are a big risk to take even when they seem like they are peaceful. They are not. Use caution ⚠️ please.

Last edited:

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a ton of tangs in my tank.

Nobody really stepped out of line except for the blue tang... he got pulled.

The clown will end up more than likely getting aggressive, similar to a sohal.

The blue was one of the first fish in the tank, so that probably had something to do with it. When he was rehomed he acted just fine and in a smaller tank.

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clown tang for 3+ years in a 240g tank with atleast 5 other tangs. He was a model citizen. I took the tank down during a divorce. Sold the clown tang to a reefer who also had a 240g tank. The clown tang began killing his fish starting with his achilles tang day 1. He had 1 heck of a time getting the clown tang out without destroying his reef. I was so sorry to have sold it to him. (Sorry Tony!) I learned from that experience that clown tangs are a big risk to take even when they seem like they are peaceful. They are not. Use caution ⚠️ please.
I wonder if they are one that does better in a 400+ ? Had one years ago who's sole purpose in life was to make everything in the tank miserable. Ended up adopting a chocolate from a friend who whooped him up silly. Model citizen after that except at feeding time. Total spaz

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if they are one that does better in a 400+ ? Had one years ago who's sole purpose in life was to make everything in the tank miserable. Ended up adopting a chocolate from a friend who whooped him up silly. Model citizen after that except at feeding time. Total spaz
Funny you mentioned becoming a model citizen after getting whipped up. My Purple Tang was bully until I added a Powder Blue Tang who whopped him up. After than the Purple Tang became the most docile fish in the tank. My tiny clown fish would intimidate him.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back