Red Sea 3XL 900 stocking

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my last post I’ve cut down my list that I want to add.

Have:
Female naso tang 9”
Hi fin snapper 8”
Magnificent foxface 7”
Blue throat trigger 6”
Polleni grouper 5”
Purple tang 4”
Powder blue tang 3”
Bi color angel 3”

Want to add
Achilles tang
Male blonde naso tang
Aussie tusk
Blue dot ray
A type of shark (haven’t decided yet)
A type of eel (haven’t decided yet)
Some schooling fish (haven’t decided yet)

Most people have told me the the powder blue and Achilles won’t get along, if I get a larger specimen, like 5”, aclimate him in an acclimation box, should I see a better result?

(Im moving the emperor angel to another tank)

8CF15314-3B6D-4560-B71B-A53E86F59FAF.jpeg

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my last post I’ve cut down my list that I want to add.

Have:
Female naso tang 9”
Hi fin snapper 8”
Magnificent foxface 7”
Blue throat trigger 6”
Polleni grouper 5”
Purple tang 4”
Powder blue tang 3”
Bi color angel 3”

Want to add
Achilles tang
Male blonde naso tang
Aussie tusk
Blue dot ray
A type of shark (haven’t decided yet)
A type of eel (haven’t decided yet)
Some schooling fish (haven’t decided yet)

Most people have told me the the powder blue and Achilles won’t get along, if I get a larger specimen, like 5”, aclimate him in an acclimation box, should I see a better result?

(Im moving the emperor angel to another tank)

8CF15314-3B6D-4560-B71B-A53E86F59FAF.jpeg
Also, I’m gonna attempt to get started on coral. First time trying, are any of the fish listed, excluding the emperor angel gonna be a problem with coral?

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I’m gonna attempt to get started on coral. First time trying, are any of the fish listed, excluding the emperor angel gonna be a problem with coral?
Aside from the issues that are already present with adding sharks and rays to your tank, which I would not recommend you do, eels can knock over coral frags, and some people have reported issues with foxfaces going after certain corals. If you are really dead-set on adding anything, maybe you could get away with the tusk, and the eel if you're willing to risk that with the corals. An established powder blue is hard to add new fish with to begin with, let alone another acanthurus tang. your tank is already very well-stocked with fish that will eventually outgrow it anyways. Adding more is asking for problems

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the issues that are already present with adding sharks and rays to your tank, which I would not recommend you do, eels can knock over coral frags, and some people have reported issues with foxfaces going after certain corals. If you are really dead-set on adding anything, maybe you could get away with the tusk, and the eel if you're willing to risk that with the corals. An established powder blue is hard to add new fish with to begin with, let alone another acanthurus tang. your tank is already very well-stocked with fish that will eventually outgrow it anyways. Adding more is asking for problems
The powder blue is 3”, and has been in the tank for less then a week, I’m trying to add stuff sooner rather then later because I fear that the purple and powder blue will become to established, and won’t welcome anything into their tank.

If I went with the Achilles tang, a group of blue reef chromis, coral cat shark, and a zebra eel. In what order should I add them?

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The powder blue is 3”, and has been in the tank for less then a week, I’m trying to add stuff sooner rather then later because I fear that the purple and powder blue will become to established, and won’t welcome anything into their tank.

If I went with the Achilles tang, a group of blue reef chromis, coral cat shark, and a zebra eel. In what order should I add them?
I would avoid the achilles and cat shark altogether. Even though the powder blue has only been in for a week, it likely will not tolerate the addition of an achilles in such a small space. IMO your tank is still too small for an achilies regadless of the PBT already being in there. Achilles are large, active tangs which require at least an 8' tank to truly thrive at adult size.

Furthermore, the cat shark is just a bad idea. They need lots of floor space and get very large and do best in very large setups. They may seem on the less active side, but they are only resting during the daytime, and get very active during the night.

If you are talking about the carribean blue reef chromis, I would try to get the largest spcimens possible to avoid getting eaten by the hi-fin. Then add the zebra eel. As previously stated, your tank is already well stocked.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back