Mixing water

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new pump for mixing my new saltwater and i didn't rinse off the pump before making some water and I just went to check on it and there is a oily residue on the surface. Do you think it could be oil from the new pump? Never seen it before making water the salt is fritz RPM. The pic isn't the best but I tryed
IMG_20190727_200259899.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep Could be oil from the pump or fittings. What kind of pump was it?

OP
OP
jordan10

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GAC will help remove such material from the water, as can "wiping" the surface with a paper towel.
So that oil isn't all throw out the water if that makes sense. Or just on surface?
And would be running the pump in hot tap water best way to get that oil off it ?

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that oil isn't all throw out the water if that makes sense. Or just on surface?
And would be running the pump in hot tap water best way to get that oil off it ?

Thanks

A small amount is dissolved, but oil is quite low in water solubility and separates from the water. I do not know how much of a concern it is.

OP
OP
jordan10

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small amount is dissolved, but oil is quite low in water solubility and separates from the water. I do not know how much of a concern it is.

Thanks for the info I know oil will always float to top of water but just wasn't sure if little parts would still be in but I flushed the oily water down drain and cleaned can and ran pump throw hot water for while so hope that the end of that.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 46 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 54 50.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.5%
Back