MJ’s Aquatop 24G

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man oh man oh man here I am again. Recently got an Aquatop 24G secondhand. I’ve downgraded from my Tideline 47G because we plan to move around a bit.

My thoughts so far:
I’ve never had a cube so the setup I have is a bit interesting. was given a ton of equipment BUT I have to replace half of it.

Fish:
Rainfords Goby
Banggai Cardinal

Coral:
Galaxea
GSP
Zoas
Mushrooms
Hammer
Kenya Tree
Acans

RETURN PUMP (TUNZE 1073.008): starting with the return pump. I’ve seen some people use the Tunze 1073.008, or the Sicce. This is my first time replacing a pump so I really have no idea what I need to do so, but I can learn. The back dimensions are about 3.8 x 2.8

Light (RADION XR15 G4): yea the stock light never had a chance. I’m plan on buying an xr15 from fb marketplace so that’ll be the go to.

skimmer (NONE): I heard nothing but bad things about this stock skimmer so I won’t even attempt to use it. Instead I’ll go without one for a while until it’s needed.

Pump (AI NERO 5)

Troubles:
-
I got the tank it it had an absurd amount of just old coraline and GHA. I was able to get a lot of it scraped off after tons of waiting.
- had to use some super glue and reseal the back seam of the rear chamber separation.
- now I’m not sure if this is an issue but there was also this little slit which I’m assuming is just to drain the water in the return if it gets too low? Should I seal this up as well or will I be fine?
IMG_1367.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second part to accommodate our TikTok brains. A quick before and after of the tank.
Before:
IMG_1313.jpeg

After:
IMG_1346.jpeg

Aquascape:
(the bold isn’t going away) but this is by far my best aquascape. When I had my 47g I had a lot of space but aggression was over the top. Every fish hid in the same place and it didn’t help whatsoever. It also just looked extremely bland. With the cube I made more use of the space and added about 20ish pounds of rock.

IMG_1370.jpeg
IMG_1371.jpeg
IMG_1372.jpeg
IMG_1366.jpeg

Next steps:
Return pump is first up on the to do list. Then after that I just need to get the aquarium wet and we’ll be rolling. I’m excited I really feel like I put more work into this build than my other two.

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back again and we are finally all ready to go! I picked up two more pieces of equipment today.

xr15 g4: at first I was very annoyed trying to get this light to work. I had tried mobius, then connected it to my Mac only to realize that’s not allowed, then I saw a post on here saying your phone has to be EXTREMELY close to connect to mobius. So after a few minutes it got all connected and I was happy. This is my first ever high class light so I liked the colors a ton.

Ai Nero 5: The Nero 5 surprised me a lot as well. MUCH easier to set up which was nice but having the variance in flow is a great touch. Now I just have to figure out placement. I’ve seen some people connect them inside the back chamber but I’m not sure if I want to risk the possibility of rusting.

Tunes 1073.008: I’m easily the happiest with this purchase. It’s a very quiet and effiecent pump. I definitely recommend it if you’re going for upgrades. The only problem is my return nozzle. I seem to be missing a washer like piece that prevents leaking to the back chamber through the nozzle. Hopefully I can go to the hardware store and find some compatible parts.
IMG_1409.jpeg
IMG_1413.jpeg

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my cycle I plan on using Biospira and some Dr. Tim’s ammonia. I also have access to some old media. So maybe that’ll help the cycle progress quicker. I know rock does a lot of the real work though. It’ll be interesting to use old tank media though. After that we wait. Not much happening until I can get some fish in and corals which is hopefully soon

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CYCLE IS DONE!
Tons of updates to be had biggest news is we have fish, and shrimp, and snails, and hermit crabs, and copepods. Got a Rainfords goby from an LFS the other day as well as a skunk cleaner.
IMG_1543.jpeg

LIDS ARE KEY:
Added a lid to my aquarium, custom made from a window framing kit. Took maybe 30 minutes to do it was pretty easy. Learned my lesson as I had 2 potato chip wrasses in my last system. I even had a lid but there was the TINIEST of slits in the back. Now we have full coverage.

IMG_1552.jpeg

NEXT UP:

Want to potentially add a skimmer. This is the first system I’ve run that actually has higher nutrients. I’ve gotten my nitrates down to 10-25 after 2 days of 50% water changes. The only problem is that there isn’t much room to be had in the back chamber of the aqua top.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CYCLE IS DONE!
Tons of updates to be had biggest news is we have fish, and shrimp, and snails, and hermit crabs, and copepods. Got a Rainfords goby from an LFS the other day as well as a skunk cleaner.
IMG_1543.jpeg

LIDS ARE KEY:
Added a lid to my aquarium, custom made from a window framing kit. Took maybe 30 minutes to do it was pretty easy. Learned my lesson as I had 2 potato chip wrasses in my last system. I even had a lid but there was the TINIEST of slits in the back. Now we have full coverage.

IMG_1552.jpeg

NEXT UP:

Want to potentially add a skimmer. This is the first system I’ve run that actually has higher nutrients. I’ve gotten my nitrates down to 10-25 after 2 days of 50% water changes. The only problem is that there isn’t much room to be had in the back chamber of the aqua top.
Glad your cycle is finished!

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New additions:
This week was very hurtful on my wallet. For fish I picked up a geometric Pygmy hawk and then a kamohara blenny. The Pygmy hawk is a really cool dude but is extremely cryptic. I never see him eat but he definitely has a bit of a gut on him. The Kamohara was added yesterday and was active immediately.

For corals I’ve gotten a few things from a great local reefer. Galaxea, GSP, zoas, and some shrooms all hit the tank. Everything is looking great so far and no crazy algae blooms from adding the coral. I definitely think the older media I had from my previous aquarium is putting in work.

Rainfords goby:
I really dropped the ball on this one. I was so hyped at the store I confused the Rainfords with a hectors that is more likely to be less of a picky eater.I scrambled to a lfs to get some copepods incase I couldn’t catch him but luckily he eats more than just pods. I’ve had success with spiraluna brine and even flakes of all things.

IMG_1598.jpeg

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if call the stock skimmer junk. My brother has this exact tank and ran the stock skimmer for a while. He had air line tubing running from the cup to a 1 gallon milk jug so he didn't have to empty the cup daily. Once you get the depth right it works great. He filled that gallon jug up in about 6 months.

I will say, he did have the pump go out on it after about 8 month and got an icecap k1 neo. That's about the only other skimmer we could find that would fit. The stock skimmer seemed to work better in my opinion.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New additions:
This week was very hurtful on my wallet. For fish I picked up a geometric Pygmy hawk and then a kamohara blenny. The Pygmy hawk is a really cool dude but is extremely cryptic. I never see him eat but he definitely has a bit of a gut on him. The Kamohara was added yesterday and was active immediately.

For corals I’ve gotten a few things from a great local reefer. Galaxea, GSP, zoas, and some shrooms all hit the tank. Everything is looking great so far and no crazy algae blooms from adding the coral. I definitely think the older media I had from my previous aquarium is putting in work.

Rainfords goby:
I really dropped the ball on this one. I was so hyped at the store I confused the Rainfords with a hectors that is more likely to be less of a picky eater.I scrambled to a lfs to get some copepods incase I couldn’t catch him but luckily he eats more than just pods. I’ve had success with spiraluna brine and even flakes of all things.

IMG_1598.jpeg
Nice looking coral!

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if call the stock skimmer junk. My brother has this exact tank and ran the stock skimmer for a while. He had air line tubing running from the cup to a 1 gallon milk jug so he didn't have to empty the cup daily. Once you get the depth right it works great. He filled that gallon jug up in about 6 months.

I will say, he did have the pump go out on it after about 8 month and got an icecap k1 neo. That's about the only other skimmer we could find that would fit. The stock skimmer seemed to work better in my opinion.
unfortunately my stock skimmer came cracked since it’s secondhand. I’ll have to give the icecap a try then

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately my stock skimmer came cracked since it’s secondhand. I’ll have to give the icecap a try then
Gotcha. Just make sure you keep the water level in the return chamber high enough that the media baskets are underwater. You want the skimmer about halfway submerged and the lower the water level in the 2nd and 3rd chambers is the harder it is to adjust the skimmer. If the skimmate is too dry, lower the skimmer. If it's too wet raise the skimmer.

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Just make sure you keep the water level in the return chamber high enough that the media baskets are underwater. You want the skimmer about halfway submerged and the lower the water level in the 2nd and 3rd chambers is the harder it is to adjust the skimmer. If the skimmate is too dry, lower the skimmer. If it's too wet raise the skimmer.
, I actually switched the baskets for plain old bags so I could be more flexible with the water levels. But that’s great to know. Where do you run your heater at? Is it in the display or below the skimmer?

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
, I actually switched the baskets for plain old bags so I could be more flexible with the water levels. But that’s great to know. Where do you run your heater at? Is it in the display or below the skimmer?
The heater was in the first chamber with the temp probe in the return chamber. We tried running the heater in the 2nd chamber, but it would cause the skimmer to sit cocked to one side. I feel you though. The baskets were a bit of a pain. They made for a good place to put filter floss though. Not really any good way to run any in the first chamber unless you make a a platform to lay it on or grab an intank media tower.

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heater was in the first chamber with the temp probe in the return chamber. We tried running the heater in the 2nd chamber, but it would cause the skimmer to sit cocked to one side. I feel you though. The baskets were a bit of a pain. They made for a good place to put filter floss though. Not really any good way to run any in the first chamber unless you make a a platform to lay it on or grab an intank media tower.
I feel you, it is a bit of an awkward setup. I ended up getting a large sponge and it takes up my entire upper 3rd of the first chamber. Made for a good spot to put filter floss but it’s a pain to remove. Second houses my heater. I may have to put the heater under the sponge and sacrifice some space.

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates on the reef:
So far so good, I’ve entered the uglies so it was time to beef up my CuC. Added some torches and Tongan Nassarius snails. Even got lucky and had a stomatella on a frag.

New fish:
added 2 Banggai cardinals, these fish got me into the hobby and I’ve always wanted a pair. I love the personality on them and they ate right away. Not shy one bit. Now my geometric Pygmy hawk (which should be the cryptic Pygmy hawk) I never see along with my Rainfords who comes out on occasion. I definitely needed some fish who ate heavy because the Pygmy hawk has a gut but I never see him eat and my Rainfords will eat frozen on occasion but it’s clearly not his favorite.

new corals:
Added a scan which has some different colors. I’ve had a ton of green so red was due for the tank. Next up are potientally some zoa’s.
IMG_1744.jpeg

final updates:
Some things to work on are definitely my phosphates which have been ridiculously high at .3. I think the baggais coming in for cleanup duty will help out along with the nassarius. I also need to stop feeding as much (barely fed a quarter of a brine shrimp cube, threw in clearly too much flake and pellet though) but I was scared the Pygmy and Rainfords weren’t eating. The cleaner shrimp may also be on thin ice. Never had one this aggressive with feeding, and his time of pestering everyone may come to an end.
IMG_1743.jpeg

bsquaredX2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, i decided no more cleaner shrimp in my tank. I've tried 3 different ones out and they all go crazy come feeding time. Makes it a pain to try and target feed corals

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates on the reef:
Big overhaul, I've added tons of coral and it’s looking a lot more lively. Mainly a ton of hammers, some Kenya’s and a large colony of candy cane. And even some more acans.

Fish issues:
So fish have been my pain this go around. Got a Midas (one of my all time favorites, kinda pushing it on size) and as I’m cleaning the tank he jumps onto the ground and recovers. I may have spooked him but man that was rough. Didn’t even make it 2 weeks but he added a much needed eater of everything. The sole Banggai left (OTHER ALSO JUMPED) doesn’t even touch non frozen foods. Spring break is here so a trip to the LFS for a much needed eater is due. I’d love to go for a wrasse but the six line concerns me after my scarlet pinstripe experience and possum wrasses have SKYROCKETED in price. May be time for a yellow watchman or even clowns.

Coral placement:
because this is the first time I’ve had a ton of coral in general I’m struggling on placement. I got my hammer mounted today but the candy cane is ridiculously huge and resting right above the sandbed on rock. I’d love to mount it but I’m not even sure on how to start.
IMG_2370.jpeg

IMG_2373.jpeg
IMG_2374.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back