Modifying Cheap Protein Skimmer > H.O.B?

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!
Reaching out to get some input on this idea I have for modifying a cheap protein skimmer I bought.
(Don't kill me, it was only $40 and going to test it during the cycle, see if it operates okay. Heavily mixed reviews) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LYWTSYM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So of course - not knowing how they worked, I read "hang on" and thought COOL! THATS WHAT i WANT! From a bit (lot) of research now, I've come to the conclusion it's hang-on-inside (right?).

Personally, I prefer on the back (personal preference & doesn't require me modifying the lid. 55gal)

Now assuming the very bottom of the vortex chamber is closed & not open (unit comes in tomorrow), I came up with this modification for the unit to turn it into a HOB filter (no sump, in main display)

Would this work??? Have the pump in the bottom of the tank, main unit on the back (cut the tube short & add an air valve as many people in the reviews have), then connect the pump to the main unit via clear 1" tubing, and get a bit of hose to extend the output back into the tank.

From the pump to the main unit IS where the water enters, correct?

Thanks for viewing & giving your input guys! Figure for $40, and a few $ on tube, why not mess with it during cycle time & no fish :D. Pretty powerful pump I hear!

Edit: Would turn the pump on it's side as well, should have corrected that in the drawing)
6Na3ZcPYc8gb4hw1jaafXPbRqDXHf.jpg

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could modify it to hang outside the tank, if it were leak proof. Next, no, you can't put the pump at the bottom of the tank, you'd have to operate it like a normal hang on back skimmer, of which the pumps usually sit just below the water line, to 6" below. Other than that, yup, should work.
Oh, I'd mesh mod the impeller also, you'd be surprised how much better it will function.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could modify it to hang outside the tank, if it were leak proof. Next, no, you can't put the pump at the bottom of the tank, you'd have to operate it like a normal hang on back skimmer, of which the pumps usually sit just below the water line, to 6" below. Other than that, yup, should work.
Oh, I'd mesh mod the impeller also, you'd be surprised how much better it will function.
Got it! Makes sense, that's why the pump is already set at roughly that range.
Will find out if it's leak proof ;)

Thanks on advice for the mesh mod impeller, I'll have to look into that. Never heard/thought of it before :D

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used the mesh mod on my hang on skimmer, works really well.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Im actually going to try to use this as it's invented (in-tank), but will def give it a shot if I decide to try the hang-on method.

Thanks!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back