Modifying my tank stand

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, let me open by saying that I realize this is probably a stupid question and this can't be done, but that's why I am asking before I start messing with it ;)

I have a stand that is too large for my aquarium and looks too large for the space. It's not bad length-wise, but depth-wise it is pretty pronounced. I could just buy a new stand, but I like this one a lot, so I would like to make it work if I can.

Since a lot of stands have no enclosure over the back, I got to thinking about what would happen if I just cut off 5" from the back. Now, I realize there's more to this than just lobbing off the back, because you'd be removing the support from those two corners, but what if I reinforced them somehow?

I am going to post some pictures... can anyone tell me if what I am suggesting is possible, with the right reinforcement, or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics:

Outside view:
IMG_0079.JPG

Inside back corner to show reinforcement:
IMG_0070.JPG

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can do that, it just may be more work then it is worth in the long run. Sometimes they glue panels on as well so getting clean cuts or removing the sides can make a mess. What size is the tank and what size is the stand? If it is a decent size you could always get a scrap of granite or quartz and do a mini ledge off the front.

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just saw the pics, shouldn't be too hard. Pop the finish trim off the sides. Remove the rear 2x4 supports, remeasure to the size you want and re install everything. Because the paneled sides are trimmed you can cut those down and the trim covers the edge so you don't need a perfect cut.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an expert stand builder, I'd recommend you do NOT modify your existing stand. you could be asking for trouble.

Dahni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very possible. ...
1. Measure the existing upright supports and cut new ones.
2. Measure horizontal support and cut new ones.
3. Secure new ones in place at the width you want.
4. Carefully cut off the access.
Not a difficult job...you're good.

Peter Blue Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very possible. ...
1. Measure the existing upright supports and cut new ones.
2. Measure horizontal support and cut new ones.
3. Secure new ones in place at the width you want.
4. Carefully cut off the access.
Not a difficult job...you're good.

Or you could just buy a new system for like $1,200. Just do it. It's quick and painless. Sell the old one on craigslist.

Dahni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...that's right....unfortunately not everyone is blessed enough to do that...a little work never hurts anyone....

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks just fine the way it is. You have a shelf to set your beer on while enjoying the tank.
icon_cheers_zpsnz8jwsel.gif
Seriously, it is nice to have a stand with plenty of room for equipment on the inside. Makes it a lot easier to work on than something that is more cramped. There are some very nice systems here on R2R with stands built that way intentionally. One in particular that comes to mind has some very nice tile-work around the extra space around the tank. I'd leave it just the way it is.

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the back apart whole panel and all then take out the two main boards going vertically on each side then you can cut it down depth wise. Then put it back together the way you took it apart.

Dahni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks just fine the way it is. You have a shelf to set your beer on while enjoying the tank.
Seriously, it is nice to have a stand with plenty of room for equipment on the inside. Makes it a lot easier to work on than something that is more cramped. There are some very nice systems here on R2R with stands built that way intentionally. One in particular that comes to mind has some very nice tile-work around the extra space around the tank. I'd leave it just the way it is.
I definitely agree! Lol!

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

You could even put some type of top on it and center it as well

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extra space never hurt anyone but if you wanna cut it down it defiantly doable.
Good luck and have fun either way!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics:

Outside view:
IMG_0079.JPG

Inside back corner to show reinforcement:
IMG_0070.JPG

I've built many stands and canopies in my time and have a very good understanding of the structural requirements to properly support a tank and its weight.

This stand design is considered by many in the hobby as a "rocket engineer" stand, because of how the vertical supports are built. (For those who don't know, "Rocket Engineer" was on RC back in the day and came up with this design.) My current stand is a "Rocket" stand design.

The stand and tank pictures that the OP posted CANNOT be used together as is. The reason why is that the tanks lip has to set directly on top of the 2"x4" frame below, all the way around. If the tank sits just on the plywood, the plywood top can't support all that weight long term and will sag. This could compromise the tanks silicone seams causing a catastrophic failure.

As far as taking it apart and cutting parts and pieces......... you could, but if the builder builds them like I do, everything is wood glued and screwed together making it impossible to modify.

Look for a stand that is meant for the tank or a tank for the existing stand and you will be much happier in the end.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an idea, this is a stand for a large Reef Savvy tank. The area in the center is where the tank will sit. This member (chriscrna), used tile to decorate the top. The finished product is stunning, I just couldn't put my finger on the photo of the finished one.

stand.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back