Mods: For us who do not and can not have Social media

zwulfke

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It comes with sadness to see all these incredible contests and all the rules with "Facebook Likes" and posts. For us some who are supporters and others who would like to participate are left out in the cold not being able to complete all the possible pieces of the contest, due to not being able to like a Facebook page and tweet or even be able to do whatever we would need social media wise to be considered. I know it is all marketing to get names out there but, what about the few of us on here that would like to be contestants and won't be able to. It would be also in my honest opinion it would be worthless to ask or even do I even think we would be exempt form this part of the contests because, any company would pick the person with social media to spread the word about the contest and winner. I am sure no one without social media would be picked to win just due to limited exposer. I am a firm believer life is not always fair but, more than not there is an alienation of a group of us R2Rs that are left out of contests because of this. Maybe there could be a possible change in all contest rules but, like motioned I do not feel this would really help in the end with the fact companies do this for free marketing via social media.

Just wanted to make mention as I have seen many people state they are upset due to the fact they can not participate in a given contest.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Rev is working on adjustments for members that in some cases can not have a FB account or simply don't want one......

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It comes with sadness to see all these incredible contests and all the rules with "Facebook Likes" and posts. For us some who are supporters and others who would like to participate are left out in the cold not being able to complete all the possible pieces of the contest, due to not being able to like a Facebook page and tweet or even be able to do whatever we would need social media wise to be considered. I know it is all marketing to get names out there but, what about the few of us on here that would like to be contestants and won't be able to. It would be also in my honest opinion it would be worthless to ask or even do I even think we would be exempt form this part of the contests because, any company would pick the person with social media to spread the word about the contest and winner. I am sure no one without social media would be picked to win just due to limited exposer. I am a firm believer life is not always fair but, more than not there is an alienation of a group of us R2Rs that are left out of contests because of this. Maybe there could be a possible change in all contest rules but, like motioned I do not feel this would really help in the end with the fact companies do this for free marketing via social media.

Just wanted to make mention as I have seen many people state they are upset due to the fact they can not participate in a given contest.

meh FB is overrated at best

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a tweeter but rejoined Facebook due to the private club page is fairly active, otherwise I don't do anything on there. There and here is what keeps me from driving my wife and friends crazy talking about sw stuff.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not trying to be cynical or a jerk, but i say just deal with it. if ya dont like the rules, ya dont have to play the game.

there are plenty of contests and giveaways, that dont require fb, ig, twit, etc. like you said, the reasoning for the likes/shares/twits is to build followers and gain exposure. if you understand that, then you see the need for the requirements.

maybe we should change all the contest rules, like POTM. if the theme is montipora....shouldnt everybody get to participate even if they dont have any monitpora?

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not trying to be cynical or a jerk, but i say just deal with it. if ya dont like the rules, ya dont have to play the game.

there are plenty of contests and giveaways, that dont require fb, ig, twit, etc. like you said, the reasoning for the likes/shares/twits is to build followers and gain exposure. if you understand that, then you see the need for the requirements.

maybe we should change all the contest rules, like POTM. if the theme is montipora....shouldnt everybody get to participate even if they dont have any monitpora?
Well said, I have a facebook account and i rarely post anything if i even do it at all. Just because you get a facebook account it doesn't mean you have to make posts about everything you do. You want to be in a contest for some free stuff, either do what they ask of you or dont bother entering for it.

OP
OP
zwulfke

zwulfke

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind some of us are not allowed due to the nature of our jobs. Other may have personal reasons even if it is nothing more than just for R2R. All I was trying to accomplish with this post is awareness of the situation. As I did state I do not think life is always fair.

Bryce Peterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who is going to pay for the give aways? The sellers use it as advertising. You could do a raffle, but then a R2R member would have to handle the collection and accounting of the $.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I agree, and I am one of the members who cannot have Facebook![emoji57] @revhtree is all over this, and has went out of his way to let me know this particular issue would not be a reason to not be able to participate in such giveaways. I am a supporting member, so I am fine with whatever is decided, but in fairness to the sponsors, which is to not just give away free product with no hopes of getting additional or future business. Just my .02!

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

It is a good thing to bring to mind, personally i dont participate because if i even did win id just give it to someone on r2r who acually needs it nd maybe some of the people who really need the prize cant participate for w.e reasons so yea i guess its only fair, revs an very thankful and giving person and im sure hes chefing something good for us

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind some of us are not allowed due to the nature of our jobs. Other may have personal reasons even if it is nothing more than just for R2R. All I was trying to accomplish with this post is awareness of the situation. As I did state I do not think life is always fair.

i have/do keep that in mind.

I can understand your frustration, and may even agree that R2R sponsored giveaways be accessible to all R2R members.

however, giveaways and contests from sponsors may have other requirements that need to be met, and if ya cant meet those needs, you just cant participate. The sponsors could surely just use FB, IG etc to promote their giveaways without using R2R, if that were the case. I feel like them including r2r users, is far from alienation.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To be fair, many contests on R2R do not require FB, and I don't think I've ever seen any that required twitter although some use it as a bonus entry (not saying there haven't been, but they would be few). As was pointed out by the OP, the requirement of FB likes is a marketing strategy, so I wonder if some alternative form of promotion/marketing could be suggested by those of you who don't use FB...something that might accomplish a similar purpose.

Also, I think the example that @Jlobes mentioned about the montipora is fair in that contests have requirements and some people won't be able to participate (and others choose not to). With regard to FB, I have sympathy for those who are not allowed to have a FB account bc their job prohibits it, but for those who simply choose not to have FB, I'm all for their right to opt out of FB (no one should be forced to create an account against their will), but you also have to understand that this choice also automatically opts you out of some benefits as well. As has been pointed out, a FB account can be created strictly for use in the contests that require a like or share with no other posting.

ericbost23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing to do is to ask revhtree what you (the followers that cannot use social media) what you can do to help find sponsored giveaways that don't require social media. Don't leave it all on someone else. For those who just don't want social media that's there choice so they shouldn't complain. And for those who can't have it ......that sucks I don't agree with an employer controlling ones life outside the work place

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you've only been a member for about a month. I've seen plenty of giveaways that don't require facebook or any type of social media as the only requirement. Be patient. I have a facebook and don't even use it for any giveaways anyways, maybe for a bonus entry every once in a blue moon but like I said as a bonus entry.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back