Mold on non removable lid

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys a got a friend and her lid can’t be removed and she already has livestock inside the tank what should she do?
IMG_6378.png

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite sure this is an emergency and that mold had to be on there for a while. So firstly, don't panic!

There is a black-mold concern that can be a health issue. Recommend masking up and gloves before any scrubbing away at mold.

I can't tell the material the mold is on. Some materials are much more difficult to get mold removed from than others. I'm not sure I understand "lid can't be removed" but ok. Get some good thick ply plastic from a big box home store. Seal up the tank with plastic and duct tape, realize there's some risk here. Might want to go lighter chemicals first - peroxide, diluted bleach , dawn soap - just in case some get into tank the damage will be less than commercial "fungal-cides". There are plethora of products available appropriate to most materials if it's persistent and if she's really worried about it. Also increase the air flow inside the canopy. Drill a hole or two should be sufficient but you can supplement with small fans. These are available at aquarium supply places. Essentially a small computer fan will do. With good air flow and some mild treatments I would think it could be brought under control easily if not outright eliminated.

Upvote 1

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would use a rag with a light bleach/water combination ( 1/2 cup bleach to a gallon of water) and just wipe it down. Leave the lid open for 24 hours.
If you are really worried about the fumes, get a clip-on fan to blow across the canopy to help dissipate the smell.
I have use bleach to clean many things near my tanks and haven't ever had any issue.
With the much mold I would probably mask up and use gloves.

Upvote 1

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably should say regarding the black mold concern. Some people are more at risk and if that is a concern or if it continues to spread even with treatments then testing and professional remediation may be in order. That's very worse case though and would be unusually extreme but is something to be aware of if it gets that far.

Upvote 1

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back