Moldable silicone putty - aquarium safe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Luananeko
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Luananeko

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2018
Messages
91
Reaction score
80
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so this is for a freshwater aquarium rather than a reef, but all the freshwater forums I used to visit appear to have hardly anyone using them anymore. I have some 3D printed tunnels that will be under my sand against the glass that I want to seal so the sand doesn't leak down into them, but I still want to be able to remove them later if I redesign the aquascape or need to clean out the tunnels without breaking down the entire display tank. I found this moldable silicone putty on Amazon that seems perfect for filling any gaps between the tunnels and the glass: Amazon product ASIN B0D1KZ54GK
Does anyone know I can test if it's aquarium safe? It says it's waterproof and made of silicone, but I figure it has to have some other ingredients to keep it pliable...
 
i figure regular aquarium silicone/sealant would suffice for this. this being "moldable" is likely just a gimmick
 
i figure regular aquarium silicone/sealant would suffice for this. this being "moldable" is likely just a gimmick
But if I use regular sealant I have to drain the tank fully and let it dry out if I need to pull any tunnels for cleaning/maintenance... And I am NOT confident in my ability to use regular sealant to seal the tunnels in any sort of aesthetically pleasing way. Something like putty I can take my time and poke and prod it with my fingers to shape it exactly how I need.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new