Mollies in a frag tank

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had a thought. Since mollies eat algae and reproduce a lot...

...can I add a small group to my prop tank to feed the fry to my anemones and help keep algae in check? Has anyone ever tried this before?

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely eat algae. I had one in an old mantis tank. It was supposed to be food but ended up just cleaning algae all day long.

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stand by mollies for frag tanks and even displays. They out eat snails by a ton. GARF swears by them. I used to breed them in my frag tank for lionfish feeder fish.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get mollies acclimated to salt water they seem right at home. I bought 5 or 6 at Wal_Mart just on a whim and dumped them in a couple of tanks. Only one of them survived but I think some of the other bigger fish bullied the others. I can't say how much algae they eat though (one molly in a 180 can't make much of a difference).

Exterminatank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my mollies. Just need to acclimate them over a long time. I dripped acclimated mine for over 4 hours. They been in my display tank for over 6 months. I keep finding babies in fuge but never see them after that.

Mike :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354837666928.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354837666928.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 391
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354837842453.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354837842453.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats awesome. I am going to get some for my frag tanks for sure.

Exterminatank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't bother my corals. I have frogspawn, torch, xenia, chalice, polyps, gsp, riccordia, lepa, candy cane, and various palys. They don't even touch any of them. I have 3 males and 5 females black mollies.

Mike :)

Last edited:

sherita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along on this thread. I've got about a dozen that I'm slowly acclimating to saltwater. I want to use them in my frag system, since I'm fed up with tangs that pick on my corals.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up 6 Dalmatian lyretails for my frag tank. 5 females 1 male. I think. I'm rusty on my freshwater keeping.

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bunch of mollies in my frag Tank. My local petco acclimates them for.us and there super cheap

Sent from my tank using tapatalk

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one thing I forgot to mention: Not all Mollies can handle Salt. I have had best luck with sunset, sail fin, black, white, and any combo of either...Platys are not salty by any means and sometimes they will breed with mollies and pet stores will sell them as either....the hybrids dont last much after 1.005 lol..I think when i first started trying mollies I spent more on them than my actual fish. (not that mollies aren't fish).

Babies get sucked up by my return pump and pulverized, which was unavoidable...thus being a constant auto feeder...They do not eat any type of corals...but dont drop a small zoa polyp or anything like that on accident...they dive bomb it and croak.

I suppose if you hae time to catch the babies as you see them than you could put them in a grow out where they cant become pump food.

Back