Mollies in your reef tank

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Yes, I have a black one I added about 6 months ago as a parasite tester. She does a great job at aimlessly swimming out in the open which encourages the rest of my fish to be out and about as well :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Does she eat algae? Might be a good option for the lowboys (which are now running and have a couple of frags in one of them. So far, so good.).

Roadkillstewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a small black dalmation and a rather large/fat calico balloon molly in mine working on the hair algae part of my ugly phase. They work the algae, then cruise around a bit... then got back to the patch and work it some more... etc al.

Amusingly, my clowns tend to watch when they're working the patch...and either scooping up pods that they disturb or they've started partaking of the occasional bite of the hair algae themselves.

OP
OP
Cichlid Dad

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have a black one I added about 6 months ago as a parasite tester. She does a great job at aimlessly swimming out in the open which encourages the rest of my fish to be out and about as well :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
One of the reasons I added them, to calm my fox face a little

OP
OP
Cichlid Dad

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a small black dalmation and a rather large/fat calico balloon molly in mine working on the hair algae part of my ugly phase. They work the algae, then cruise around a bit... then got back to the patch and work it some more... etc al.

Amusingly, my clowns tend to watch when they're working the patch...and either scooping up pods that they disturb or they've started partaking of the occasional bite of the hair algae themselves.
The other reason I added them! Awesome

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does she eat algae? Might be a good option for the lowboys (which are now running and have a couple of frags in one of them. So far, so good.).
Yes, mollies are mostly herbivores and good janitors.
I like ornamental seaweeds & sponges in the Caribbean lagoon displays that I maintain. I often run then fishless to encotrae pods.

PS. I am not a good photographer today. We had our first hard first last night and I was splitting firewood when my old age told me not to do that again. The two large females came from Aquadome in Austin. One was already adjusted full salt.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cichlid Dad

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, mollies are mostly herbivores and good janitors.
I like ornamental seaweeds & sponges in the Caribbean lagoon displays that I maintain. I often run then fishless to encotrae pods.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Very nice lagoon! I'm running a refugium only with a skimmer. I have 5 different decorator algae and all of the sponge that came on the live rock. It's a 40 breeder and love it. You just gave me the push I need to add more large sponge. :grinning-squinting-face:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back