Molt or death

aSaltyKlown

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2020
Messages
547
Reaction score
664
Location
N. VA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen many shrimp/crabs molt, however, I have not seen a pistol shrimp molt. I purchased a tiger pistol yesterday. He went to hide in a cave area when it was introduced. This morning I saw some excavation action, and in a depression, I saw the following pic. It looks like a molt, but on the large claw there seem to be tendons or something and is throwing me off. It is hollow, so that should be a molt. I think it's odd that it would molt the night after introducing it to the tank.

Tank mates are two hermits some snails, two clowns and his buddy a yellow watchman.

The white on the bottom left is glue, so ignore that.

1632677446490.png
 
I should have waited another hour before posting. ;Facepalm I noticed the YWG near the hole in a rock where the pistol was last night. After I posted, I went and watched, sure enough, saw an antenna and then some claws. It came out after a few min and started to bulldoze away.
 
I should have waited another hour before posting. ;Facepalm I noticed the YWG near the hole in a rock where the pistol was last night. After I posted, I went and watched, sure enough, saw an antenna and then some claws. It came out after a few min and started to bulldoze away.
My coralbanded shrimp did the same thing to me. I also got a call from my boss stating that the second shrimp died.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new