Mombasa lionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any one has seen a Mombasa lionfish for sale please tell me. I have been waiting for one online but they are never in stock.

1566598492735.png

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check with this guy: http://www.ibluewater.com/venomous-fish.html
[email protected]
It's may take him a while, last I checked he did have one in stock. His prices are high but does do a qt, I lost 2 in qt from other sources and one arrived dead. They are so similar to my antennata I decided not to try another.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lucky in that we ordered a zebra and they shipped a Mombasa, easy mistake on their part. This was on an order coming from Kenya. You could call around at the LFS and see if any of them get shipments from Kenya and could do a special order for a “zebra” lol

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lucky in that we ordered a zebra and they shipped a Mombasa, easy mistake on their part. This was on an order coming from Kenya. You could call around at the LFS and see if any of them get shipments from Kenya and could do a special order for a “zebra” lol

One of the mombasa's I got was listed at the lfs as a zebra also, they are more commonly listed as an antennata at the wholesalers. Here's my zebra and antennata.

033.jpg

Last edited:

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the mombasa's I got was listed at the lfs as a zebra also, they are more commonly listed as an antennata at the wholesalers.

I could see that also, to me the antennata look absolutely nothing alike, but not everyone is lion obsessed I guess haha. My particular fish was transshipped. When we first got him in I took one look and said that’s not a zebra, but I can definitely see how they can be mixed up, especially when they are smaller. I would hazard to guess this is a semi common mix up at LFS, especially so if they order transship, so if online hasn’t been working it wouldn’t hurt to check around locally. I love my T’Challa, of the three lions in the tank I would say he is hands down the most gorgeous (don’t tell Thor and Mantis I said so though lol).

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could see that also, to me the antennata look absolutely nothing alike, but not everyone is lion obsessed I guess haha. My particular fish was transshipped. When we first got him in I took one look and said that’s not a zebra, but I can definitely see how they can be mixed up, especially when they are smaller. I would hazard to guess this is a semi common mix up at LFS, especially so if they order transship, so if online hasn’t been working it wouldn’t hurt to check around locally. I love my T’Challa, of the three lions in the tank I would say he is hands down the most gorgeous (don’t tell Thor and Mantis I said so though lol).

It's actually really hard to tell the antenatta from the mombasa when they are small. The only way to tell is the markings on the tail are different, the spots on the fins have different placements, and the fin rays are longer on the antennata. If you don't know the specifics and are not looking at the 2 side by side, it is very easy to mistake.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only lions my LFS get are fuzzy dwarfs. I also don't want to risk getting a zebra instead.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back