monkiboy's 265g build thread

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome build! tagging along.

For the two water change bins, if one will have RO and one SW it is easy with a few valves and one pump to set it up to:
1. circulate the RO side
2. Circulate the SW side
3. pump from RO to SW side
4. pump from sw to tank.

I may have some pics of my last setup that worked well, ill snoop around

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
awesome build! tagging along.

For the two water change bins, if one will have RO and one SW it is easy with a few valves and one pump to set it up to:
1. circulate the RO side
2. Circulate the SW side
3. pump from RO to SW side
4. pump from sw to tank.

I may have some pics of my last setup that worked well, ill snoop around
thanks for tagging along and feel free to post the photo(s) of your mixing station, if/when you find them, here. i'm sure it can only help.

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
b20523c3-cc6f-4d8c-b559-bcb473c23447_zps52f3141d.jpg

71d39b57-c866-47d5-bfd0-3a5c53cd52af_zps1d190830.jpg

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phone buzzed as tapatalk reported that post, its 10:57 pm. My girlfriend says "why is your phone buzzing so late!" I was forced to say it....

Im sorry honey. I'm in love with another man's frag tank.

Good lord thats cool.

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My phone buzzed as tapatalk reported that post, its 10:57 pm. My girlfriend says "why is your phone buzzing so late!" I was forced to say it....

Im sorry honey. I'm in love with another man's frag tank.

Good lord thats cool.
oh man, the build has gone destructive, haha. thanks for the comments and hopefully more impressive as she gets filled.

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
stuff has been growing pretty darn fast and it was time to make some frags. the first of which for the new frag show-tank. unfortunately, a failed timer led to an overextended bayer dip and the frag's colors washed out and you can see the flesh coming off two frags. thankfully two days later, i only lost one frag completely and colors are returning but you can see the washed out colors and damage in the video below from immediately after the dip.

[video=youtube;Sjh_5UWJkOA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjh_5UWJkOA[/video]

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water Change Station...

Great vid! Here I promised a water change station pic. So there is a flexy hose coming out of the pump that isn't very visible, but it connects the lower plumbing to the upper plumbing. So the RO/DI unit automatically fills the left 55G drum, the right 55G drum is filled from the left using the pumping system, then you dump one bag of salt into the right drum., either drum can be self circulated (though both cant be circulated at one time, but that is ok the RO/DI doesn't need to circulate), and the water can be pumped out of the SW drum to the tank via the top hose. There are a ton of ways to do it, but thats how I did it. The pump can be anything externally capable. I used an Iwaki 55RLT.

IMG_3345.jpg

Keep the sweet updates coming!

hung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going running the Gen 3 Pro's over the show/frag tank also? I'd like to take a look at your graph when you get it all dialed in.

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you going running the Gen 3 Pro's over the show/frag tank also? I'd like to take a look at your graph when you get it all dialed in.
no, picked up an ATI powermodule 8x54w unit to give t5s a go over it as another option to LEDs.

hung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, picked up an ATI powermodule 8x54w unit to give t5s a go over it as another option to LEDs.

Oh ok, when are you going to have the Gen 3 Pro's over the DT. Have you decided how you want to mount them yet?

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh ok, when are you going to have the Gen 3 Pro's over the DT. Have you decided how you want to mount them yet?
probably next week. i decided to use one per 23x23 opening in the spaced out bracing of the tank. the tank has two ~4" braces splitting the top into three even openings. i'll probably make something out of box aluminum tubing or aluminum angle. i do want to be able to move them side to side. then put a hanging kit a foot or so in from each end to the ceiling to raise it out of sight for maintenance items on the tank.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! Very impressive 'Build Thread' though have just skimmed the surface of it. Always admire a Reefer who willing and able to get down and dirty doing their own work, plus being that you started it on my B-day will have to come back and read from beginning to end.

Cheers, Todd

hung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably next week. i decided to use one per 23x23 opening in the spaced out bracing of the tank. the tank has two ~4" braces splitting the top into three even openings. i'll probably make something out of box aluminum tubing or aluminum angle. i do want to be able to move them side to side. then put a hanging kit a foot or so in from each end to the ceiling to raise it out of sight for maintenance items on the tank.

You can mount them with t slot aluminum extrusion. That way you have the ability to slide them for adjustments when needed. My buddy mounted his this way for his Gen 3 Pros on a 210.

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i really like this piece. the polyp extension is seen in light blue and the body purple - the contrast is exquisite. kind of can tell what i'm talking about in the video.

[video=youtube;VXdOQVUeWg8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXdOQVUeWg8[/video]

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
like clock-work, every night, the blue linckias will gather together. it isn't always the same spot but often this is one of their favorite locations for whatever reason. makes for a wonderful display if you sneak a flash photo in:
45cf9078-25be-4a09-ba11-6718c410a071_zpsd36cef6b.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Crazy!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back