2+ Year 75 Gallon Journey

Monte31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand and make sense. I ask as I have a 'free' pump as well going about 2400gph on the 90 DT I am currently building but with 2 reactors, uv, and two different return paths I will get less... What are you going to use the reactor for? I have the brs dual and think I will do carbon and gfo once I get going...

I’m going to run carbon only in the reactor. Trying to keep this tank simple.

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand and make sense. I ask as I have a 'free' pump as well going about 2400gph on the 90 DT I am currently building but with 2 reactors, uv, and two different return paths I will get less... What are you going to use the reactor for? I have the brs dual and think I will do carbon and gfo once I get going...

Als0... Is there a sock holder where your pipes come down (4"?) or are the socks attached to the returns? Are you using felt or the 200micron filter socks..? Sorry for all the questions, I am excited to finally see some water in mine so living vicariously through yours for now... :)

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Als0... Is there a sock holder where your pipes come down (4"?) or are the socks attached to the returns? Are you using felt or the 200micron filter socks..? Sorry for all the questions, I am excited to finally see some water in mine so living vicariously through yours for now... :)

The Trigger Crystal 30 has a built-in 4" sock holder...kinda hard to see since everything is clear. I haven't 100% decided if I'm running socks or not, but if I do, they will be 200 micron felt.

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy do I have some regrets. I got water running through the system and didn't have any leaks. Good news right? Wrong. The durso drain is so LOUD!!!!!!! We have some family staying over this weekend and my fiancee didn't want to have the tank running in the room next to our guest room due to the noise. I've tried a few things to quiet it down, but constantly got that boiling water sound in the sump. Time for a total plumbing makeover. I'm going to use the two 1" bulkheads for drains and go with a herbie overflow. Then the return will come back to the tank over the rim. I'll post some photos tomorrow once I get everything glued into place. :) Not ideal, but probably the best in the long run. I'm going dark grey sch 80 everything this time around. Not black, but close enough.

TerraCaelus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy do I have some regrets. I got water running through the system and didn't have any leaks. Good news right? Wrong. The durso drain is so LOUD!!!!!!! We have some family staying over this weekend and my fiancee didn't want to have the tank running in the room next to our guest room due to the noise. I've tried a few things to quiet it down, but constantly got that boiling water sound in the sump. Time for a total plumbing makeover. I'm going to use the two 1" bulkheads for drains and go with a herbie overflow. Then the return will come back to the tank over the rim. I'll post some photos tomorrow once I get everything glued into place. :) Not ideal, but probably the best in the long run. I'm going dark grey sch 80 everything this time around. Not black, but close enough.

Put in a ball valve when you re-do the pipe work, this can make the system a lot quieter since what is mostly likely happening is the noise is being caused by water flowing down 2 quickly :)

Monte31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put in a ball valve when you re-do the pipe work, this can make the system a lot quieter since what is mostly likely happening is the noise is being caused by water flowing down 2 quickly :)

You got it! The main drain is a full siphon in the herbie style so a valve will 100% be needed

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a gate valve. When a gate valve is used you can fine tune it and it will be silent when adjusted properly. Bulk Reef Supply carries them. I recommend getting the threaded version that way if you ever upgrade you can unscrew the fittings and reuse the valve. PM me and I will give you my number to contact me and I will talk you through what ya need to do. No need to completely redo the plumbing.

Last edited:

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also concerned about the support under your sump. 1/4 plywood will not support the weight of the sump. From your picture it looks like you are only supporting the ends of the sump. I am afraid over time the center of your sump will sag and crack causing a disaster you definitely do not want. I personally would use thicker plywood and at least 4 supports spaced evenly under the sump. Easier to correct now then later. Please take no offense I just want to make sure you don't have problems down the road. Everyone here has helped me and I am wanting to pay it forward.

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also concerned about the support under your sump. 1/4 plywood will not support the weight of the sump. From your picture it looks like you are only supporting the ends of the sump. I am afraid over time the center of your sump will sag and crack causing a disaster you definitely do not want. I personally would use thicker plywood and at least 4 supports spaced evenly under the sump. Easier to correct now then later. Please take no offense I just want to make sure you don't have problems down the road. Everyone here has helped me and I am wanting to pay it forward.

That’s actually good to note. I didn’t document this change, but did install multiple extra braces under the plywood, so we’re good there. No offense taken at all! I love the feedback. I don’t like the idea of restricting the main drain without a backup, so that’s the reason I went with the herbie style and re did some things. At the end of the day, I’m 100 times happier with the way it turned out.:)

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the terrible pictures; lighting isn't too good under the tank. I'm excited the way everything turned out. I know everyone will say why didn't you go with a gate valve, but I've successfully tuned in a herbie drain with a ball valve in the past without trouble. You can't see it too well in the photo, but I installed a strainer on the main drain just in case anything decides to crawl into the overflow :)

IMG_0407.JPG IMG_0408.JPG IMG_0409.JPG IMG_0410.JPG

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Performed a leak test, tuned the drain, and did a power outage simulation to make sure the sump wouldn’t overflow. All good to go. Lesson learned...again. Don’t cut corners. The herbie drain is silent and I love it!

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Performed a leak test, tuned the drain, and did a power outage simulation to make sure the sump wouldn’t overflow. All good to go. Lesson learned...again. Don’t cut corners. The herbie drain is silent and I love it!
Glad you got it all worked out.

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on getting mine setup for first time right now. Will be interesting to see how this all works out.... I have two 1 1/2 overflow pipes and 2 3/4 returns with a few other reactor ports... Thanks for sharing!!

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up an 8 bulb dimmable ATI fixture. I'll probably only use 6 bulbs in it, but it's nice to have the expansion ability if I decide to add some actinics or something. I'm going to cycle with the lights off, so I have some time to mount it properly. We recently bought our first home and one of the best things about owning a home is drilling into the ceiling without worrying about my deposit lol

IMG_0439.JPG

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up an 8 bulb dimmable ATI fixture. I'll probably only use 6 bulbs in it, but it's nice to have the expansion ability if I decide to add some actinics or something. I'm going to cycle with the lights off, so I have some time to mount it properly. We recently bought our first home and one of the best things about owning a home is drilling into the ceiling without worrying about my deposit lol

IMG_0439.JPG
I have 2 of the 24" dimmable 4 bulb ati lights on 2 different tanks and love them. Good choice.

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0439.JPG
How are you mounting? wires with hooks or another method?

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you mounting? wires with hooks or another method?

I'm going to be hanging it with toggle bolts. The ones provided by ATI are pretty beefy, so there shouldn't be any issues. For how solid the ATI fixture is, its surprisingly lightweight. That said, if I can hit a stud, even better. I still have to find the stud finder from the move...I'm sure its in a box somewhere lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back