Tactical Innovative Marine Nuvo 15 Nano Reef Build - TacticalReef

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to my Tactical build thread.​

I wanted to take the approach of every aspect having a purpose and being done intentionally with such a small space to work.

Each section will be broken down into spoilers, with the exception of the most recent update and Equipment, so you can view as much extra detail as you'd like.

Coming Soon

Upgrade heater to Helio 100W system once back in stock.

Equipment List:​

Return Pump: AI Axis 40
Light: AI Prime 16HD with Rigid Mount
Heater: Finnex HMX 100W Titanium Heater
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155 w/ Upgraded Pump
Wavemaker: Jebao MLW-5
Nozzle: VCA Random Flow Nozzle
Rock: Caribsea Liferock Nano
Sand: Caribsea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink
Stand: 40 Gallon Multi Tank Stand
Additional Items:
InTank Media Basket
Flipper Float Nano
InkBird ITC-308S Temperature Controller

Most Recent Update:​

03/11/2024​

More water testing done today. Ammonia and Nitrate appear to be in check but the Nitrite is still very high. I am going to give it another day or two to see if it will naturally come down, if not I see a water change in the near future.

IMG_8100.jpg

02/09/2024:​

First Update! I ordered the tank and items from SaltwaterAquarium.com. The first delivery the tank had a sealing issue around the baffles found during leak testing but the great team at Innovative Marine was able to send me out a replacement tank through their warranty process. One early issue I ran into was finding a stand that was functional but also looked good. This tank is in my home office so I needed something that could hide a lot of the gear, easily hold the weight of the tank, and also be used as a piece of furniture. I did some digging through Amazon and found a stand, listed below, that has some awesome geometric designs and provides storage space for ATO res, equipment, and power cables while also being able to be used to hold other decor.

Initial Equipment is in:​

Return Pump: Stock Innovative Marine Pump
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155
Rock: Caribsea Liferock Nano Kit
Additional Items:
  • InTank Media Basket
  • Flipper Float Nano
  • InkBird ITC-308S Temperature Controller

I have come up with a basic design for the rock that I am going to let sit there for a couple of days to make sure I really like it before I fill the tank. Looking forward to some initial feedback and getting this process going!

IMG_7988.jpg
IMG_7994.jpg

02/16/2024​

A little bit of good and a little bit of bad today.

The good: The tank is basically fully setup. All of the cables have been routed and hidden pretty well around the stand. This includes installing and setting up the InkBird system, the Jebao MLW-5 Wavemaker, Tunze 3155, and AI Prime 16HD.

Which leads to the bad... The only item left to install is the Random Flow Nozzle which I need the new return pump in order to install. The pump was supposed to be here today, 2/16, but it looks like USPS sent it to a few extra stops before bringing it to my door. This delay will cause the setup to not see water tomorrow most likely and I have a few busy weekends ahead so I will have to try to make time during the week to get it all filled and going.

Which I guess leads to another bit of good. On fill day the only things I will need to do will be to get the sand in and then add water so it should be a fairly straightforward and easy process.

Here is how the tank and stand sit today waiting for the return pump and water.

IMG_8025.jpg

IMG_8027.jpg

03/05/2024​

A couple of updates over the past few weeks:
  • The AI Axis 40 arrived safely and was a breeze to install. I had to heat the existing return tubing to get it to fit the smallest fitting that the Axis 40 came with but I am not too worried about it. The stock Innovative Marine pump has been repurposed to help mix salt and pump water into the tank during water changes.
  • The tank cycle officially started on 2/22. I am using Dr. Tims bottled ammonia with Turbostart for a fishless cycle.
  • The Tunze Osmolator I bought was second hand and the pump was trash. So I ended up buying the new version of the pump as a replacement to guarantee better lift of the water and to future proof myself if I decided to dose something from the res later.

The cycle is progressing as expected. Testing today shows results that are tough to specifically pinpoint due to the coloring but my best guess is
  • 0.5ppm Ammonia
  • 2ppm Nitrite
  • 20ppm Nitrate
The Nitrite has definitely spiked and it is good to see Nitrate being present. All signs are looking good since we are a little under 2 weeks since the cycle was started.

IMG_8085.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TacticalReef

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some questions?

Where did you hang your side arm and how did you get the molle clips to stay put? 556 or 308?

Will your fish engage in armed conflict with one another? Or, are they just a bunch of mall ninjas larping?
All great questions but due to the sensitive nature of some of them I will not be able to give you exact answers.

Return Chamber has plenty of space and gel super glue is great for holding corals and other things in place.

Stocking list is still in the works but I am thinking it will end up being a lot of passive aggressive fish.

OP
OP
TacticalReef

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving the first update out of the first post in the thread to prepare for future updates.

First Update!

I ordered the tank and items from SaltwaterAquarium.com. The first delivery the tank had a sealing issue around the baffles found during leak testing but the great team at Innovative Marine was able to send me out a replacement tank through their warranty process.

One early issue I ran into was finding a stand that was functional but also looked good. This tank is in my home office so I needed something that could hide a lot of the gear, easily hold the weight of the tank, and also be used as a piece of furniture. I did some digging through Amazon and found a stand, listed below, that has some awesome geometric designs and provides storage space for ATO res, equipment, and power cables while also being able to be used to hold other decor.j

Initial Equipment is in:​

Return Pump: Stock Innovative Marine Pump
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155
Rock: Caribsea Liferock Nano Kit
Additional Items:
  • InTank Media Basket
  • Flipper Float Nano
  • InkBird ITC-308S Temperature Controller

I have come up with a basic design for the rock that I am going to let sit there for a couple of days to make sure I really like it before I fill the tank. Looking forward to some initial feedback and getting this process going!

IMG_7988.jpg

IMG_7994.jpg

OP
OP
TacticalReef

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit of good and a little bit of bad today.

The good: The tank is basically fully setup. All of the cables have been routed and hidden pretty well around the stand. This includes installing and setting up the InkBird system, the Jebao MLW-5 Wavemaker, Tunze 3155, and AI Prime 16HD.

Which leads to the bad... The only item left to install is the Random Flow Nozzle which I need the new return pump in order to install. The pump was supposed to be here today, 2/16, but it looks like USPS sent it to a few extra stops before bringing it to my door. This delay will cause the setup to not see water tomorrow most likely and I have a few busy weekends ahead so I will have to try to make time during the week to get it all filled and going.

Which I guess leads to another bit of good. On fill day the only things I will need to do will be to get the sand in and then add water so it should be a fairly straightforward and easy process.

Here is how the tank and stand sit today waiting for the return pump and water.

IMG_8025.jpg

IMG_8027.jpg

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very exciting, following along and hoping you have a quick hassle free cycle! Your last picture made me laugh, all I can think about is cat diving board lol! Really like your stand, cool design and plenty of stash space.

OP
OP
TacticalReef

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of updates over the past few weeks:
  • The AI Axis 40 arrived safely and was a breeze to install. I had to heat the existing return tubing to get it to fit the smallest fitting that the Axis 40 came with but I am not too worried about it. The stock Innovative Marine pump has been repurposed to help mix salt and pump water into the tank during water changes.
  • The tank cycle officially started on 2/22. I am using Dr. Tims bottled ammonia with Turbostart for a fishless cycle.
  • The Tunze Osmolator I bought was second hand and the pump was trash. So I ended up buying the new version of the pump as a replacement to guarantee better lift of the water and to future proof myself if I decided to dose something from the res later.

The cycle is progressing as expected. Testing today shows results that are tough to specifically pinpoint due to the coloring but my best guess is
  • 0.5ppm Ammonia
  • 2ppm Nitrite
  • 20ppm Nitrate
The Nitrite has definitely spiked and it is good to see Nitrate being present. All signs are looking good since we are a little under 2 weeks since the cycle was started.

IMG_8085.jpg

OP
OP
TacticalReef

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More water testing done today. Ammonia and Nitrate appear to be in check but the Nitrite is still very high. I am going to give it another day or two to see if it will naturally come down, if not I see a water change in the near future.

IMG_8100.jpg

OP
OP
TacticalReef

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not going to make an entire new update for this but just a quick follow up to yesterday. Tested Nitrite and Nitrate again today and there is definitely work being done Nitrite is still high at somewhere between 2-5 ppm but the Nitrate has gone up at about 20-40 ppm. So the tank is definitely cycling and the bacteria is getting some work done. Going to let it go for another day or so before a water change just to see how much is actually getting processed.

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hoping the light blue shows up soon for ya!

Also I don't know if you saw or are interested but here-I picked one up last week!

I didn't see myself wanting or needing a skimmer for the 15 nuvo but if it was truly free why not! I just direct messaged them about it, they will message back and have you order one on amazon. You send them a copy of your amazon receipt along with your paypal info and boom free skimmer!
Only took a few days, its a solid well built little skimmer that will be awesome in a pinch if needed. I would highly suggest it, even if you don't need it at this time!

OP
OP
TacticalReef

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping the light blue shows up soon for ya!

Also I don't know if you saw or are interested but here-I picked one up last week!

I didn't see myself wanting or needing a skimmer for the 15 nuvo but if it was truly free why not! I just direct messaged them about it, they will message back and have you order one on amazon. You send them a copy of your amazon receipt along with your paypal info and boom free skimmer!
Only took a few days, its a solid well built little skimmer that will be awesome in a pinch if needed. I would highly suggest it, even if you don't need it at this time!
Thanks for this! I just sent them a message to see if they are still needing testers for the units

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for this! I just sent them a message to see if they are still needing testers for the units
Awesome!
Credit goes to @WalkerLoves_TheOcean, he directed me to this! They should be hopefully, I told them I would be happy to demo a larger one if they made for my other tank. Told me it was in production and would contact me to trial one as soon as they were ready!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back