monti ID?

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pic from that beautiful thailand sps tank thread over on rc.

DSC06109.JPG

what are these montis??

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another monti Q to avoid starting a new thread...

diff. between superman monti and purple haze monti? people say purple haze is basically wild caught, but same thing as superman monti. i saw a purple haze monti few days ago at a lfs, and the purple was so much more intense. and the polyps were deep red/purple. still the same?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, i guess i can see how some people say the purple haze is a superman knock-off...but not really.

first of all, the purple haze is not a wild...its a maricultured thats comes as a huge colony. its mounted on what looks like a disc mounted upright.

and yes, the purple is INTENSE, much more so than the original superman. the polyps are very dark, to which you cant really see them. but you can see the "haze" the dark red polyps give the coral if you look at the polyps from the side.

it almost looks like the intense bright purple has an "atmosphere" of dark red around it.

IMO the two are completely different. the bright purple knocks the socks off of any other coral i've ever seen.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw....IME the purple haze is probably the weakest coral in my tank.

i barely kept my first frags alive, even some algae made half of it receed.

finally got it going, then it touched something and almost completely died. i saved several very tiny 1cm pieces. transfered several to another rock, and one to a frag plug.

my frag plug encrusted pretty quickly, but the edge touched an acro then 3/4 of receeded and died.

the pieces i transfered to a rock grew fast, completely encrusted, then touched my undata last week, and now 1/4 of that receeded back.

the thing grows fast, but its gota be the whimpiest sps corall in my tank...lol

keep it away from all corals!!! lol

patedship

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The left appears to be a pokerstar monti for sure. But the other is just a purple polyped monti I do not believe that it has a name.

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the heads up al, lol i was gonna place it in the frag rack w/ the other frags but i guess it getes VIP treatment by itself. my LFS is selling a frag that has encrusted a 4 ~ 5'' tonga branch for about 80 bucks. i'm guessing that's a pretty good deal. even if it isn't, i'm in love with it and i'm getting it tomorow. hopefully it's still there. it's been there for the past 2 weeks so knock on wood.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the heads up al, lol i was gonna place it in the frag rack w/ the other frags but i guess it getes VIP treatment by itself. my LFS is selling a frag that has encrusted a 4 ~ 5'' tonga branch for about 80 bucks. i'm guessing that's a pretty good deal. even if it isn't, i'm in love with it and i'm getting it tomorow. hopefully it's still there. it's been there for the past 2 weeks so knock on wood.

thats a rip off IMO. you can get a fully encrusted maricultured rock for about $40-$50 off ebay, and other places.

dc_909

Zoanthid Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this piece that was being called "purple haze". Is this the purple haze you are talking about?

MontiPurpleHaze.jpg

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about this one? saw it on makoJ's tank as well but no positive ID.
by ID, i mean fancy schmancy name
Untitled-1.jpg

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks msman

another ID...no pic, but just descriptions.
color wise, it looks exactly like a sunset (orange body, neon green polyps) but it was branching. anybody know which coral this might be?

patedship

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue what that would be lets see a pic. My favorite monti's right now are (true tyree rainbow, sunset, TRUE superman, and the fire engine monti) I will tell you right now the Fire Engine monti is a MUST have. One of the sweetest montis I have!

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

patedship

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man, my camera blows haha I need to get a new one. That is really why I never post any pics it is too big of a hassle to take pics with it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.5%
Back