Montipora Eating Nudibranch Eggs?

Twosixpax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if this is obvious elsewhere - I searched the previous thread but couldn't find a photograph clear enough to ID if these are MEN eggs on the back of a new Monti Cap. I just bought.

The Monti looks healthy enough and the only hitchhiker I found after 2 dips was the one shown (which is darker than I'd expect for a MEN).

Thanks.

IMG_6719.jpg IMG_6720.jpg IMG_6728.jpg IMG_6731.jpg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if this is obvious elsewhere - I searched the previous thread but couldn't find a photograph clear enough to ID if these are MEN eggs on the back of a new Monti Cap. I just bought.

The Monti looks healthy enough and the only hitchhiker I found after 2 dips was the one shown (which is darker than I'd expect for a MEN).

Thanks.

IMG_6719.jpg IMG_6720.jpg IMG_6728.jpg IMG_6731.jpg
First pic are amphipods, beneficial crustaceans similar to pods (though generally larger) and can be found in basically every tank. Second pic are spirorbid worms, harmless filter feeders, very common although spread rapidly. Is the 2nd photo just a close up of what you're concerned of in the 3rd photo?

OP
OP
Twosixpax

Twosixpax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pic are amphipods, beneficial crustaceans similar to pods (though generally larger) and can be found in basically every tank. Second pic are spirorbid worms, harmless filter feeders, very common although spread rapidly. Is the 2nd photo just a close up of what you're concerned of in the 3rd photo?
Thanks for the quick response - really appreciate it.

I thought it was some kind of pod, but wanted to be sure - thx. The 2 photos are of the same thing, yes.

The worms I guess I live with rather than scrubbing off (if they're likely to be in my display anyway)?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response - really appreciate it.

I thought it was some kind of pod, but wanted to be sure - thx. The 2 photos are of the same thing, yes.

The worms I guess I live with rather than scrubbing off (if they're likely to be in my display anyway)?
Yeah, pretty hard to keep spirorbids out of a tank, they're completely harmless/beneficial however they do spread fast, won't harm anything ofc and are 10x easier to scrape off of glass than coraline.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completly disagree.
Spionid worms are not harmless.
There may be different species around but mine(and most) bore into hard coral and rock. As the population grows it can really irritate the coral. So much so that that pe suffers and may stop the growth of the coral.
I'm not saying you have these worms from your pic but look like it.
Thread 'Coral Boring Spionid Worms- Anybody Killed them?' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/coral-boring-spionid-worms-anybody-killed-them.974826/

Thread 'Safe Interceptor Dose | Coral Boring Spionid Worms.' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/safe-interceptor-dose-coral-boring-spionid-worms.1016413/

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completly disagree.
Spionid worms are not harmless.
There may be different species around but mine(and most) bore into hard coral and rock. As the population grows it can really irritate the coral. So much so that that pe suffers and may stop the growth of the coral.
I'm not saying you have these worms from your pic but look like it.
Thread 'Coral Boring Spionid Worms- Anybody Killed them?' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/coral-boring-spionid-worms-anybody-killed-them.974826/

Thread 'Safe Interceptor Dose | Coral Boring Spionid Worms.' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/safe-interceptor-dose-coral-boring-spionid-worms.1016413/
Yes, however these are not spinoid worms, these are spirorbid worms, which are harmless

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They clog filters ,clog pumps and intakes and even overtake sump areas
I scrape tem into a net and discard.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for reference: this is a picture I took 1,5 years ago of when I had a mild MEN problem. Removed the Monti cap and haven't seen them since fortunately :)

Screenshot_20240324_092759_Gallery.jpg

An adult Monti Eating Nudibranch in the middle and quite a few eggs around it. On the border of the healthy/affected tissue

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 112 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back