Double Tank Build

Twosixpax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

I'm about to replace one of my tanks (Red Sea Reefer XXL750) with a new Red Sea Reefer S1000 G2. My home office/tank room currently has the XXL750 and a Waterbox REEF180.5 on two opposite walls (as well as a Guinea Pig house that is being moved!):

Office tanks.jpg

Seeing as I'm tearing down the XXL750 anyway I figured I'd move both tanks to the wall that it's on, leaving room for a sitting/viewing area on the left side of the room (my desk is behind me as I took this shot, but I often take work calls sitting in front of the tanks). I'll capture the teardown and move/build here but first wanted to check if anyone had any experience or advice running two tanks from one sump. I'm planning to have the Reefer S1000 with its 55G sump where the XXL750 is today, probably a small gap for a sitting space between the 2 tanks so they have a side view, and the REEF180.5 moved to the wall alongside the new tank, plumbed to share the sump with the REEFER S1000 with one return pump each (and a third pump plumbed to both as a backup).
Doing this I can have:
one APEX setup (today there are 2),
one set of dosing pumps (I run Triton Other Methods on both - so 4 Neptune DOS, with live rock and multiple biocubes in the largely cryptic sumps),
one ATO (today both have ATO tanks and I plan to run direct to the sump with a Neptune solenoid and leak detectors)
One Red Sea Rollermat (today both are getting sock changes every 3 days)
One skimmer (XXL has a Red Sea 900, Waterbox has a NYOS160 today)
and one AWC (I have a spare Neptune DOS already - today both get manual water changes once per week of around 10-15%)
I'd also like to have the salt water reservoir (about 40G under the REEF180.5 as the cabinet will be empty, possibly add a QT under there with its own filtration, and use the 'bonus' sump tank which comes with the S1000 as a frag tank, probably with clams in there too.
I'm hoping with the addition of a few leak detectors this should cut down the maintenance from running 2 entirely separate tanks (and two QTs)
The Reefer 1000S will be SPS dominant while the Waterbox is all torches and hammers with some Zoas/Palys (I set them up that way when the Pyramid butterflies in the XXL750 got a taste for torches..). I did for a brief moment consider putting an acrylic tunnel to join the 2 tanks and selling the pyramids but (a) that seems like lunacy, and (b) Pyramids are so hard to find these days I may regret it..

the XXL750 has been running since July 2020 and the Waterbox since September 2021 - I plan to reuse the LifeRock but move to more negative space in both, and to rinse and reuse the special grade Arag-alive sand but also add some new.

Thoughts and advice welcome!

REEF180.jpg

OP
OP
Twosixpax

Twosixpax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds ambitious! Everything you suggest is certainly doable, and aside from the additional logistics there will definitely be some savings and benefits.

I really like your office door, btw.
Thanks B. The doors are story of their own - decided when designing & building the house to use authentic imported doors from Spain & South America - seemed like a good idea at the time!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your office door, btw.
that was my 1st thought too. :)

OP: why are you tacking down the 750? just replacing it with the S-1000?

I almost picked one up too. but the other half reeled me in....

looks like a real nice office space. I take it you work from home?

OP
OP
Twosixpax

Twosixpax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that was my 1st thought too. :)

OP: why are you tacking down the 750? just replacing it with the S-1000?

I almost picked one up too. but the other half reeled me in....

looks like a real nice office space. I take it you work from home?
Thank D. Yes, worked from home almost full time since the start of the pandemic.

On the 750, the tank had an issue with oxidation. Red Sea support have been so good to work with I decided to just replace the entire tank. I wanted to move to a bigger single 10' custom tank in there - but those doors are too small to get one (or the cabinet) through and beyond them is a corridor so there's no space to angle the tank :( Hence the 2 tanks..

Attachments

• corridor.jpg
    corridor.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
Twosixpax

Twosixpax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank D. Yes, worked from home almost full time since the start of the pandemic.

On the 750, the tank had an issue with oxidation. Red Sea support have been so good to work with I decided to just replace the entire tank. I wanted to move to a bigger single 10' custom tank in there - but those doors are too small to get one (or the cabinet) through and beyond them is a corridor so there's no space to angle the tank :( Hence the 2 tanks..
Just saw your build thread - did you finish the house?

OP
OP
Twosixpax

Twosixpax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I'm moving the 2 tanks to one wall I'm thinking of getting custom cabinetry made. The wall space it can cover is around 16' and the tanks are 7' and 5'. Working from a blank slate with so much space is a little daunting - does anyone have any tips on what neat features they've included or would include? Thx!

Back