Montipora Eating Nudibranch woes

Gk5321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I know this has been discussed many times before and it’s not even worth posting pictures so this is more of me complaining to the world but I have montipora eating nudibranchs in my 8 gallon SPS tank. It seems like I’ve entered into never ending problems territory. This is after what I can only assume were acropora eating black bugs killed some acros I that were doing okay. I have approximately 9 pieces of different montis (digis, caps, anacropora etc…) all finally doing well and encrusted onto the rock. I’m assuming there’s nothing that can be done right? Even if I was able to remove the corals it’s not like I have somewhere to quarantine them. Do I just have to sit back and watch them all die off? So far they are only on a piece of spongodes. I haven’t seen them on any other montis.

mangolove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have a picture of the hitchhiker? I mean if they first were growing happily and now suddenly are not?

You could remove coral and dip, then rinse and repeat.

What do you do to increase coral health? This could help also.

Treatment & ID

OP
OP
Gk5321

Gk5321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have a picture of the hitchhiker? I mean if they first were growing happily and now suddenly are not?

You could remove coral and dip, then rinse and repeat.

What do you do to increase coral health? This could help also.

Treatment & ID
I bought a cheap montipora cap and dipped it using CoralRx for 15 minutes. I noticed nudis on it two weeks later and threw the piece out becuase I didn’t want to take any risks. At the time I didn’t see the Nudis anywhere else. I just saw them on the Spongodes today. I am not able to take any of the other montis out becuase they’re all encrusted onto the rock. It’s hard to get a picture.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought a cheap montipora cap and dipped it using CoralRx for 15 minutes. I noticed nudis on it two weeks later and threw the piece out becuase I didn’t want to take any risks. At the time I didn’t see the Nudis anywhere else. I just saw them on the Spongodes today. I am not able to take any of the other montis out becuase they’re all encrusted onto the rock. It’s hard to get a picture.
Chances are , eggs may be present and you want to start looking for any which are tiny and often layed underneath coral.
yellow coris or melanurus wrasses eat them but each fish has their own desire to eat them or not.

OP
OP
Gk5321

Gk5321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are , eggs may be present and you want to start looking for any which are tiny and often layed underneath coral.
yellow coris or melanurus wrasses eat them but each fish has their own desire to eat them or not.
Thanks for the info. I think I might just be preparing for loss. I don’t think I can fit any of those fish in a tank this small unfortunately

AlexandraDreadlocksPanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having this battle, it is possible but it is NOT easy and will require sacrifices. How many of those Monti’s are really unusual and / or expensive? If they’re easily and cheaply available cut them all off the rock, bin them, kill any remaining bits with kalk paste, then leave tank fallow for a month…
OR….
Select a few favourite pieces to keep frags of, mount onto frag plugs and onto a clean frag rack, making sure you dip them all first for adults, remove remains from rocks as above. Remove entire frag rack and dip every 3 days.

If you ask me, first option is the easiest and most sensible.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back