Montipora eating nudibranch ID, treatment, and prevention

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Identification:

Montipora Eating Nudibranches are a fairly common aquarium pest that will feed on any montipora species and even some others like select chalices, scrolls etc. There are over 2000 known species of Nudibranchs and all of them have very select diets. They were each put on this world to eat one thing and they do a good job at it. Montipora eating types all seem to share the same color and shape but can vary from 1/8in to 3/4in long. Ive personally come across 2 species that eat montipora.

The first of which is larger and can grow to be about 1/2-3/4in. Here is one on a montipora spongodes that had just laid some eggs. Each egg sack contains quite a few baby nudis. It only takes a few days for nudibranches to hatch and another couple days to reach sexual maturity. They lay lots of eggs in short intervals and with such a quick hatch and maturity rate they can multiply very fast when theres enough available food.

20211226_215205.jpg

Here is another type of montipora eating nudi but these ones stay small reaching a maximum size of 1/4in. They are much harder to spot and hatchlings are nearly microscopic.
20211226_215250.jpg

A common misidentification is between berghia nudibranchs and montipora eating nudis. The berghias eat aiptasia but look fairly similar. The biggest difference is the berghias have long tentacles on their heads and the frills on their backs are streamline and pointed.

(Images off google that i put together for easy comparison)

20211226_221245.jpg

Symptoms that your montipora may be infected, include blotchy areas of dead tissue, looking fuzzy near the edges of the tissue (the nudis), and just tissue recession. Nudibranchs are mostly active at night and can be hard to spot during the day. In a healthy aquarium where these nudis are newly introduced, montipora can still grow and thrive even when infected with them. They do have some natural defense in their slime coat to hold them back but if the coral ever gets stressed you will see the nudi population boom literally over night. Once theres enough of them in the tank, even healthy montipora will quickly be devoured.

Treatment:

The best form of treatment is always prevention. Always dip and inspect new corals for pests, if possible quarantine is even better. Buying from top venders like wwc, Jason fox, tsa etc is a great way to insure pest free corals, but i still recommend dips and inspection.

Treatment for all nudibranchs is generally the same. Ideally all species that the nudi targets should be removed from the display tank and put in quarantine. Dip the affected corals and any other corals in the tank of similar species twice a week for 4-6 weeks until you havent seen any nudis for atleast a month. The reason for twice weekly is because the dip does not kill the eggs and this covers their reproduction cycle. Before the dip inspect the corals and manually remove any nudis and eggs you find. During the dip take a tooth brush and brush the bases of the coral and affected areas. I prefer iodine based dips and dip for 20-30mins. After i also like to cut the bases off or super glue any nooks or cracks shut that they could hide in to make sure im covering places they cant be seen. Ive had success waiting 2 months before adding the corals back. the nudibranchs left in the display should have no doubt starved. You can do this without the qt tank but expect to have to continue dipping for much longer. Wrasses are also a great way to reduce nudi populations, they do a good job at pecking off strays that venture out during the day, but wrasses still sleep at night when the nudis are most active so they arent the best solution.

Heres a video i took today of a monti eating nudi in an iodine dip. (Let me know if the instagram link isnt working i couldnt upload the video to r2r)

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited:

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
thank you for the write-up!! recently had my jf aquaman begin receding so i got paranoid. could just be the nearby RFA stinging it..

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the write-up!! recently had my jf aquaman begin receding so i got paranoid. could just be the nearby RFA stinging it..
No problem, im glad it could help someone. I havent kept any corals near my rock flower nems so i dont know how aggressive they are but its very possible it could be stinging it. I would move one away and see if it recovers.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RFA's in my experience lack the stinging of their relatives. I have RFA's growing right on top of, and next to corals and neither is effected.

While I've never had to deal with monti eating nudi's, I did have zoa eating nudi's. What a huge PITA to deal with.

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very recent problem with Monti Eating Nudibranchs. Only have a digitata and a cap in my tank, the nudi's were on the Monti cap. I found 3 adults and a lot of eggs (guess i was just in time) . I made a few frags of the healthy tissue and tossed the rest.

Interesting to note is:
- I dipped the corals before putting them in the tank
- no quarantaine tank/system
- I didnt add any Monti's for about 6 months

So I'm guessing that either the eggs can survive a long time without hatching (which would make qt usesless), or I introduced some hitchhikers on another type of coral.

Thanks for the write-up and good info! :)

20211219_120517.jpg

As seen from the outside of the aquarium

Screenshot_20211219-150323_Gallery.jpg

Close up of adult with eggs

dk2nt9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing worked for me, montis were eaten very fast. Luckily, it was a montis only pico reef, shut it down and started a new tank from scratch.

Now getting livestock only from the same high end store. So far so good.

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very recent problem with Monti Eating Nudibranchs. Only have a digitata and a cap in my tank, the nudi's were on the Monti cap. I found 3 adults and a lot of eggs (guess i was just in time) . I made a few frags of the healthy tissue and tossed the rest.

Interesting to note is:
- I dipped the corals before putting them in the tank
- no quarantaine tank/system
- I didnt add any Monti's for about 6 months

So I'm guessing that either the eggs can survive a long time without hatching (which would make qt usesless), or I introduced some hitchhikers on another type of coral.

Thanks for the write-up and good info! :)

20211219_120517.jpg

As seen from the outside of the aquarium

Screenshot_20211219-150323_Gallery.jpg

Close up of adult with eggs
Ive never seen any eggs take longer than a few days to hatch. My guess would be that some eggs werent seen when you first added them since they can survive the dip. Once in the tank they can receed into the live rock to lay eggs and search for more food as well. Thats why if you do the treatment with the montis in the main tank it takes a lot longer to get rid of them. These guys are a real headache to deal with.

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing worked for me, montis were eaten very fast. Luckily, it was a montis only pico reef, shut it down and started a new tank from scratch.

Now getting livestock only from the same high end store. So far so good.
Sorry to hear that, my first run in with them i lost a few colonies some of which were 6-8 years old.

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never seen any eggs take longer than a few days to hatch. My guess would be that some eggs werent seen when you first added them since they can survive the dip. Once in the tank they can receed into the live rock to lay eggs and search for more food as well. Thats why if you do the treatment with the montis in the main tank it takes a lot longer to get rid of them. These guys are a real headache to deal with.
Interesting! I knew it had to be the eggs surviving the dip, but the fact the adults can survive for 6 months (or more generations) before showing themselves and doing damage surprises me.
In that case the rest of the Monti cap and the digi may still be doomed. Not fun, but not the end of the world, since I only have 2 very common Monti's.

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! I knew it had to be the eggs surviving the dip, but the fact the adults can survive for 6 months (or more generations) before showing themselves and doing damage surprises me.
In that case the rest of the Monti cap and the digi may still be doomed. Not fun, but not the end of the world, since I only have 2 very common Monti's.
Like i said in my first post, montipora still have some immunity against them and can fight them off to an extent with their natural defenses as long as the monti is healthy. So when first infected it can take a long time for a nudi population to grow but once it does even healthy montis will be greatly affected. My guess is there was only 1 or 2 or even a single egg sack when you first added them. And only recently the population was able to thrive.

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dragonsreef so lets talk about dips for these. The bottle cap concentration of iodine is fairly extreme.

What solution (iodine/tank water dip) are we talking about for treating removed colonies?

I've been using Melafix (melaleuca or tea tree oil) and it seems to work okay, but open to better ideas.

I have the small ones and the eggs are nearly impossible to see.

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dragonsreef so lets talk about dips for these. The bottle cap concentration of iodine is fairly extreme.

What solution (iodine/tank water dip) are we talking about for treating removed colonies?

I've been using Melafix (melaleuca or tea tree oil) and it seems to work okay, but open to better ideas.

I have the small ones and the eggs are nearly impossible to see.
Yes the bottle cap demo was a high concentration but the only way i could record it on my phone haha. So i use seachem reef dip which is iodine based. I dont know if its the end all be all best option but ive had good succes with it. Lots of people also swear by bayer but i havent tried it yet. I dont know the exact percentage of iodine concentration in seachems product so i cant say for sure how much iodine to use if you go for a concentrated iodine solution. On the instructions it says to use 5-10ml per 1g of water but i found some pests would survive this and i started using 15-20ml per 1g. I also like to see that the water has more of a yellow tint to it after adding the dip. If the waters still clear it doesnt seem to be strong enough.

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the bottle cap demo was a high concentration but the only way i could record it on my phone haha. So i use seachem reef dip which is iodine based. I dont know if its the end all be all best option but ive had good succes with it. Lots of people also swear by bayer but i havent tried it yet. I dont know the exact percentage of iodine concentration in seachems product so i cant say for sure how much iodine to use if you go for a concentrated iodine solution. On the instructions it says to use 5-10ml per 1g of water but i found some pests would survive this and i started using 15-20ml per 1g. I also like to see that the water has more of a yellow tint to it after adding the dip. If the waters still clear it doesnt seem to be strong enough.
I used Bayer for years for acropora. I've since switched to potassium chloride for acros. It is much more effective and much easier to use. Almost as gentle as Bayer, not quite tho.

I have plenty. I will give that a try next time. I just dipped everything yesterday. I am in a much better place now, but still discovered a couple on one specific piece.

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is the life cycle for these little jerks? How long do they live and take for eggs to hatch?

I noticed a nudi a couple months ago on my glass... then eventually found on a couple of my Montis. Most of mine have encrusted on to rocks that can't be removed so I assumed I was out of luck and would watch all my Montis be eaten away.

I added several wrasses. Im up to 8 now. Using a long baster I would blow off my montis daily weather I saw nudis or not. I did this for a couple weeks. At first I would often see a Nudi and I would suck it out if I could and occasionally Id miss one and it would float off in the current. Its been close to 3 weeks since Ive seen a Nudi. My Montis that had showed signs of damage have healed. Its probably to optimistic to assume Ive beaten them so I assume there are still eggs somewhere? Perhaps one of the wrasses has developed a taste for them?

Thoughts?

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the life cycle for these little jerks? How long do they live and take for eggs to hatch?

I noticed a nudi a couple months ago on my glass... then eventually found on a couple of my Montis. Most of mine have encrusted on to rocks that can't be removed so I assumed I was out of luck and would watch all my Montis be eaten away.

I added several wrasses. Im up to 8 now. Using a long baster I would blow off my montis daily weather I saw nudis or not. I did this for a couple weeks. At first I would often see a Nudi and I would suck it out if I could and occasionally Id miss one and it would float off in the current. Its been close to 3 weeks since Ive seen a Nudi. My Montis that had showed signs of damage have healed. Its probably to optimistic to assume Ive beaten them so I assume there are still eggs somewhere? Perhaps one of the wrasses has developed a taste for them?

Thoughts?
I dont know how long they live, but the eggs seem to hatch in about 5 days or so. With that many wrasse its very possible to keep the population in check to a point they won't be killing the montis and they can still thrive but i don't think total eradication is possible without removing the montipora

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a baby berghia (I added adult ones 4 weeks ago), or a baby monti eating nudi? I found it on the underside of my monti which I noticed was starting to bleach today.

Attachments

• 20230722_141917.jpg
    20230722_141917.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20230722_140155.jpg
    20230722_140155.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230722_140146.jpg
    20230722_140146.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 16900332653288243623096496339885.jpg
    16900332653288243623096496339885.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 114

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Is this a baby berghia (I added adult ones 4 weeks ago), or a baby monti eating nudi? I found it on the underside of my monti which I noticed was starting to bleach today.

i’d wager it’s a MEN/ZEN(montipora/zoa)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Does appear to be Monti eating species. Berghia is below and not even close.

1706741214001.png

Monti:

1706741254224.png
1706741265983.png

Coral RX often effective with knocking them down

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back