Natural predator to montipora eating nudibranch

jdubDaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve discovered a few montipora eating nudibranch in my reef tank. Anyone have any natural cures? Do any fish eat them? I have a 9g nano so it can’t be anything big. If there are no natural cures what are other ways to eliminate them?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lined Wrasse (6-line wrasse) will do the trick. Any of these wrasse are agressive. Likely you can use a 6line wrasse and rehome him when the pest is gone.
For small tank like that, I just remove all the Montipora. Frag them and keep them isolate until they starve them replace. These nudibranch don’t live on living tissue but on the LR next to the coral. Just cut the coral off WITHOUT ANY live rock and that piece should be pest free.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small A. twistii , about 1.5 inch, and she eliminated all the Nudibranch from my frag tank over time. I only have small frags in open rack. I moved the frag around the rack and every few days, after moving I turn the frag upside down for a day, exposed the plug. I moved them from one side to the other to make sure ant eggs that hatch get exposed to the wrasse. No evidence of any after about 4 weeks. None now for the last several months with out moving the frags.

OP
OP
jdubDaReefGuy

jdubDaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lined Wrasse (6-line wrasse) will do the trick. Any of these wrasse are agressive. Likely you can use a 6line wrasse and rehome him when the pest is gone.
For small tank like that, I just remove all the Montipora. Frag them and keep them isolate until they starve them replace. These nudibranch don’t live on living tissue but on the LR next to the coral. Just cut the coral off WITHOUT ANY live rock and that piece should be pest free.
Would a pink streaked wrasse work the same? I’ve read 6-line tend to be aggressive and I fear with the small tank space it would go on a warpath with my other fish.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back