Are these nudibranches?

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my first attempt at keeping SPS in my nano was unsuccessful. After a few months of clinging on my forest fire digi has started to bleach and die (to be honest I think the nudis (?) where the least of its worry’s)). I’ve started noticing white furry spots on the coral, are these nudis?
I’m thinking of leaving the skeleton in the tank as I think it would look appealing if my zoas continued grew over it. But should I remove it if there’s nudis? There’s no other sps in this tank, I only have softies. Should I be worried about adding SPS in the future? Can the eggs/ nudis remain in the tank for a while without food?
CF73E99B-69AC-43BE-9B95-DD7ECCA6BC6B.jpeg

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, those are nudibranchs - more specifically, they're Phestilla subodiosa, also known as Montipora Eating Nudibranchs (MEN).

Some wrasses are known to eat them; I've also heard of using Camel Shrimp (Rhynchocinetes durbanensis) in a QT tank for a few days (I'd probably suggest 3-4 weeks, depending on the severity of the infestation, but that's a guess and not from experience) to take care of the infestation.*

That said, manual removal is also an option - you can remove any adults and eggs you can find; the eggs take ~2 days to hatch and ~8-10 days to settle/turn into mini versions of the adults, so you have basically 10 days between batches you can remove.**

I've heard that dips work on the adults as well, so that's an option to remove the adults (this won't get rid of the eggs though, so you still need to take care of them after the larvae settle).

*Source:
**Source:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back