Some montipora questions

tagraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m doing a montipora dominated tank and have a few questions.

1 what par would you keep them at if you didn’t need the extra par for acros? I know they can be brought up to decently high par but in my case I can give them closer to what they do best at.

2. I have a montiport Jedi mind trick. What typ of monti is this? Having a hard time finding a clear answer

3. would the different types of monti like different light intensity or are they all kind of the same? currently using xr15 radion blue running AB+. And two appoint Nero pumps on offset random flow. It’s pretty heavy on the flow and they seem to like it. But my Jedi mind trick seems to not be extending its polyps like it used to. My cap and digitatas are fine. Wondering if the mind trick wants a little less light or flow. The polyps are out at night just fine.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my opinion, if your doing just a "montipora" type tank, then I would do what is appealing to your eye when it comes to color and par. Montipora I think can adjust according to what ever you decided on going with, and just as any other coral, start the acclimatation low and raise it up in your tank. That is just my thoughts.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jedi mind trick is a montipora undata, it is a plating type of montipora.

I have mine under MH lights, but from posts and reading, I would say acceptable par would be between 200-300, though it can take much more.

It also likes strong flow which will help it develop thick and strong plates, if the flow is insufficient, it will grow thin brittle plates.

The 2 main type of monti we see are the undata and the digitata, they have similar requirements.

OP
OP
T

tagraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jedi mind trick is a montipora undata, it is a plating type of montipora.

I have mine under MH lights, but from posts and reading, I would say acceptable par would be between 200-300, though it can take much more.

It also likes strong flow which will help it develop thick and strong plates, if the flow is insufficient, it will grow thin brittle plates.

The 2 main type of monti we see are the undata and the digitata, they have similar requirements.

Thank you that’s good information. I’ve had success with all sorts of montipora in my last system before I have to give it up due to “life stuff”. It did well but I never knew exactly why. Now I want to really put the emphasis on the montipora so might as well give them close to what they like as I can. I have tones of flow, good lighting, and stable chemistry.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back