Montipora cap glued to back wall?

HermanoToro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I hope this is considered the correct section. A buddy gave me a pretty sizable montipora cap yesterday and I'd like to try mounting it to the back wall. Without much of a plan, and a lack of materials on-hand, I was curious if gluing the piece vertically could be an option? Would it naturally begin to plate out horizontally from there, or do you think it would die? Thanks for reading

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I hope this is considered the correct section. A buddy gave me a pretty sizable montipora cap yesterday and I'd like to try mounting it to the back wall. Without much of a plan, and a lack of materials on-hand, I was curious if gluing the piece vertically could be an option? Would it naturally begin to plate out horizontally from there, or do you think it would die? Thanks for reading

Yes it will start to plate outwards generally. At times upward also depending on level of light where it glued to wall

OP
OP
HermanoToro

HermanoToro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will start to plate outwards generally. At times upward also depending on level of light where it glued to wall
awesome! I think I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I messed with the idea of sanding some rubble rock flat and trying to attach that to the wall but....I don't imagine I'll get that to hold.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! I think I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I messed with the idea of sanding some rubble rock flat and trying to attach that to the wall but....I don't imagine I'll get that to hold.
I have them in single frag holders its hard to see but started as a small frag it will grow to the wall..

Attachments

• 20221025_223843.jpg
    20221025_223843.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 20221015_225145.jpg
    20221015_225145.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20221104_152742.jpg
    20221104_152742.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
HermanoToro

HermanoToro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help, dudes. I glued it directly, and flat, against the back wall. So far it seems to be a great solution. We'll see what happens!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found over the years, it's better to glue a frag close to the wall, and let it climb naturally. Then remove the plug so you just have it on the wall.

I have a giant colony of stylophora, and that has encrusted on my overflow this way too. I've been toying with the idea of removing the colony, and see if it stays just encrusted.

SalineSerenity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help, dudes. I glued it directly, and flat, against the back wall. So far it seems to be a great solution. We'll see what happens!
How’s it working out? I’m interested in doing the same thing and was curious about your progress.

OP
OP
HermanoToro

HermanoToro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s it working out? I’m interested in doing the same thing and was curious about your progress.
Saline,

It's going awesome thus far. The cap has started growing, vertically, around where I glued it down. The bottom portion is also starting to base out horizontally. In my limited experience with this method, I'd say it's the perfect placement for a larger montipora frag.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a monti cap that was glued to a magnet. It was nice to be able to move it for cleaning and such. Eventually the magnet didn't suit my needs anymore, so I took it off the magnet and glued it to a rock.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back