Mounting Monti to back wall

Mglass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought this and put it on a rack for the time being. I'm wanting to try to get it to attach in the corner between the overflow box and back wall. It's about 1.5-2 inch diameter almost a perfect circle. If I make a little ledge in the corner, will it grow and attach itself to the walls? If I glue it flat against the wall, frag plug flat, will it plate outward and upward?

I'm new to Monti's so any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
20240309_171214.jpg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It will but if it's glass, it may eventually get heavy enough to unglue and fall off.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this all the time. I cut the stem off the frag plug and use a drop of superglue, then epoxy, then superglue. Eventually the monti will grow out onto the glass and start plating outward if that’s what it is. Here is a pic of my newest ones. I’ve got 4… a purple, 2 greens and a red with green in it. I’m hoping they all start to mix with each other

I also do this with zoas, cyphastria and anything else that encrusts. Gsp, I just place a rock of it against the glass and it will eventually grow up it too.
IMG_1920.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mglass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this all the time. I cut the stem off the frag plug and use a drop of superglue, then epoxy, then superglue. Eventually the monti will grow out onto the glass and start plating outward if that’s what it is. Here is a pic of my newest ones. I’ve got 4… a purple, 2 greens and a red with green in it. I’m hoping they all start to mix with each other

I also do this with zoas, cyphastria and anything else that encrusts. Gsp, I just place a rock of it against the glass and it will eventually grow up it too.
IMG_1920.jpeg

So you nip the stem off and place it flat against the wall? That's what I wanted to try, but I didn't know if it would make it grow weird. I know it'll grow how it wants to anyways, but I didn't want it to go straight down.

I made 2 magnetic frag rocks and got GSP growing over them and starting to go up the back wall. I want GSP on the walls, plating monti in the corners and maybe some encrusting Monti going up the overflow.
1710038647883484166153809369235.jpg

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you nip the stem off and place it flat against the wall? That's what I wanted to try, but I didn't know if it would make it grow weird. I know it'll grow how it wants to anyways, but I didn't want it to go straight down.

I made 2 magnetic frag rocks and got GSP growing over them and starting to go up the back wall. I want GSP on the walls, plating monti in the corners and maybe some encrusting Monti going up the overflow.
1710038647883484166153809369235.jpg
Yep. I just cut the stems off the frag. Every once in a while a snail may knock one off but only if it has not yet encrusted on the glass. ( but I have some monster snails)

Here’s a pic of a green monti cap that encrusted onto the glass quite a bit before finally plating outward. And a few of other stuff in the newer tank.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

IMG_3187.jpeg
IMG_3582.jpeg

javajaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my old tank I had some red and green monti's that grew like crazy...kept fragging them by the pound it seems like. They'll definitely grow up the glass. If I put monti's in my next tank they are going to be very isolated so that they grow out into free water and not onto other rock/glass.

OP
OP
M

Mglass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be interesting to see if they do. Mine just kill each other when they touch with the green usually the winner.
I'm wondering how they make the dual color ones, like half red half green? I've been looking at alot of corals lately and came across some grafted together. I'm planning on having a couple colors but should be far enough away they shouldn't interfere with each other

OP
OP
M

Mglass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my old tank I had some red and green monti's that grew like crazy...kept fragging them by the pound it seems like. They'll definitely grow up the glass. If I put monti's in my next tank they are going to be very isolated so that they grow out into free water and not onto other rock/glass.
How did you mount them, just on a rock close by the glass or directly on it?

I was hoping to rearrange my rockwork this last weekend and get it solidly mounted by didn't get a chance. Do you think it'll grow out and attach itself just sitting on a frag rack? Or should it be more or less permanently attached?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering how they make the dual color ones, like half red half green?

That I do not know. I was talking to the owner a lfs a little while back and he looked at me like I was crazy when I told him my two greens and orange kill each other when they touch. I don't think he even believed me lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back