Montipora growth habits

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kens Bees
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kens Bees

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 1, 2021
Messages
72
Reaction score
88
Location
Massachusetts
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an open spot for a plating coral on the back wall. Does anyone know if any of these “named” montis plate out versus encrusting?

Kung Pao
Flaming Phoenix
Peyote
TSA Kaboom
JF Yellow Fever
JF Vino
 
I can confirm the kung pau plates out. Very slowly though.
 
I think most of those are leaning more towards encrusting types in the hobby, though they are all capable of plating. Most of those will need to reach a mature size to plate or scroll. You could possibly encourage plating by the way you mount them to the back. If you mount it I guess perpendicular to the back wall so part of the coral is forced to grow outward you might see better plating vs mounting flat to the wall where they will just encrust forever.
 
I'm all about the scroll.
IMG_20260225_083150.jpg
 
I have Kung Pao and agree, yes it will plate, and Peyote dreams will plate as well. No experience with the others in your list.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new