Moorish Idol

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done a lot of research on Moorish Idols to the point it seems like there’s nothing I haven’t seen but obviously that doesn’t stop me from being intimidated by owning one. There is a really nice, fat one at my LFS and he eats ferociously and acts like a perfectly normal fish. He seems to have Lymphocystis. When I saw that I was put off but 4 months later, he’s still there and still eats like he did. The Lympho comes and goes and I’m wondering if I should buy him because he’s honestly the only one I’ve seen that isn’t thin or shy etc? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy it. Moorish Idols are one of the fish that should only be kept by public aquariums and research institutuons. Over the decades I've been reefing I've known many individuals say they've been successful getting their Moorish Idol to eat. But I still haven't known of anyone keeping them much longer than a year or two. Not a success in my book for a fish that should live decades.

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy it. Moorish Idols are one of the fish that should only be kept by public aquariums and research institutuons. Over the decades I've been reefing I've known many individuals say they've been successful getting their Moorish Idol to eat. But I still haven't known of anyone keeping them much longer than a year or two. Not a success in my book for a fish that should live decades.
Yeah I guess that’s the reason why I had a guttural instinct to not originally buy it. I’ve seen quite a lot at my local aquarium. If only the hobby had as much success

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a tank large enough and the right tank mates (no potential stress… idol would be king of the tank, no tangs, etc). I would try it if the price is right. I would also expect it to still only live a few years but hope that it somehow beats the odds.

I think most public aquariums QT fish and such so I would probably skip QT on the idol (and hope it’s healthy) but QT everything else wet that would ever go in that tank to try and protect the idol from potential velvet etc.

I guess it would be more like a species tank. A tank built around that particulars fish’s needs.

Last edited:

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the idol is fat and eating, has been there that long and you have a large enough tank, are able to feed it a lot and that you will be able to care for it for a long time then buy it.

I had an idol for over 8 years. I got it directly from a diver in Hawaii and that was the best eating fish I've probably had. Fat as can be. Mysis, flakes, pellets, etc. For some reason after about 8 years it suddenly developed a bacterial infection that I was unable to treat.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
arent idols subtropical and/or schooling fish? ive seen them in schools and also ik they live in like baja california and thats cw. ik theres a whole coral reef that would have reef tank fish there and its all cw and thats why baja california is a desert is because the cold water dosent let it evaporate and rain and it makes reefs because the water is cold it gets tons of phytoplankton

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a tank large enough and the right tank mates (no potential stress… idol would be king of the tank, no tangs, etc). I would try it if the price is right. I would also expect it to still only live a few years but hope that it somehow beats the odds.

I think most public aquariums QT fish and such so I would probably skip QT on the idol (and hope it’s healthy) but QT everything else wet that would ever go in that tank to try and protect the idol from potential velvet etc.

I guess it would be more like a species tank. A tank built around that particulars fish’s needs.
If the idol is fat and eating, has been there that long and you have a large enough tank, are able to feed it a lot and that you will be able to care for it for a long time then buy it.

I had an idol for over 8 years. I got it directly from a diver in Hawaii and that was the best eating fish I've probably had. Fat as can be. Mysis, flakes, pellets, etc. For some reason after about 8 years it suddenly developed a bacterial infection that I was unable to treat.
Would an idol fight with anything like Butterflyfish? It has always been my dream fish and I know people in the hobby that say either it’s as delicate as anything and others say it’s fine. I’ve never known them to be aggressive and I know they’re loosely related to tangs.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2A2B437D-9E34-4B6B-B72E-D0E3E0F0036A.jpeg

I gave this one to a friend— who keeps a dirty tank :( — but I swear the banner fin is almost a foot long!

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen any aggression from the idol towards other fish (clowns, wrasses, butterflies, angels, etc.) But I was also prepared to setup a complete separate tank if the reverse happened. Luckily I never saw any aggression from other fish towards the idol.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would an idol fight with anything like Butterflyfish? It has always been my dream fish and I know people in the hobby that say either it’s as delicate as anything and others say it’s fine. I’ve never known them to be aggressive and I know they’re loosely related to tangs.

I have never kept an idol but I have kept butterflies and I bet they would be fine to keep together in most cases. My Copperband is kind of an butt but that’s not normal lol At least they shouldn’t hold a grudge like a Tang sometimes.

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never kept an idol but I have kept butterflies and I bet they would be fine to keep together in most cases. My Copperband is kind of an butt but that’s not normal lol At least they shouldn’t hold a grudge like a Tang sometimes.
I have a baby blue tang. If I put them in the same tank together, do you think there would be trouble?

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen any aggression from the idol towards other fish (clowns, wrasses, butterflies, angels, etc.) But I was also prepared to setup a complete separate tank if the reverse happened. Luckily I never saw any aggression from other fish towards the idol.
I have a baby blue tang. If I put them in the same tank together, do you think there would be trouble?

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Idols are interesting characters. For long term success with idols make sure you make them eat nori. They are grazers just like tangs and if you can make them eat nori then they have a very good chance of surviving. They love clams and also like to swim a lot. They can be super fast but they are generally docile compared to tangs. They generally don't show aggression towards butterflies. Caring for a idol is quite a job.

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idols are interesting characters. For long term success with idols make sure you make them eat nori. They are grazers just like tangs and if you can make them eat nori then they have a very good chance of surviving. They love clams and also like to swim a lot. They can be super fast but they are generally docile compared to tangs. They generally don't show aggression towards butterflies. Caring for a idol is quite a job.
Okay awesome, thank you. If I do go the Idol route, I’ll be sure to keep Nori in mind. I’ve also rwas that sponge is a natural part of their diet. Where I live, I can get that pretty easily. Would you recommend that as well?

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay awesome, thank you. If I do go the Idol route, I’ll be sure to keep Nori in mind. I’ve also rwas that sponge is a natural part of their diet. Where I live, I can get that pretty easily. Would you recommend that as well?
Definitely, they love sponge too. If you can get them easily then just go ahead. One thing to remember they can nip on LPS so be careful. I don't care because I only keep SPS but sometime they can nip SPS too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back