Moorish Idols and carbon

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last 6 months ( not a very long time at all), I scoured over research, readings and people all over regarding this fish and the difficulty in keeping one. Its been said, that high oxygen and nigh protein foods are the key. Makes sense, considering almost every fish needs that. It also has been said this fish is most likely missing something from their diet that they get in the wild. Im nearly 100% sure of that fact. But an interesting thing happened. I had two idols in QT. Both eating, fat and seemingly healthy (when they finally started eating). No signs of weight loss, no visible spine, just perfectly fat fish. Once I added then to the DT, within a week, the bigger ones' spine started to show, even though this fish goes through 6-8 sheets of nori a day - not kidding . Bellies looked fat, but still didn't seem as fat as when it barely ate in QT. I brought this up to one of the most reputable stores in my area. I brought up the research that most tang lovers ( at least) have seen,that long term/steady use of carbon can cause lateral line disease or has been linked to contribute in causing it. They also agreed that carbon and Moorish Idols could be an issue and that some of their studies were also pointing to this. It might be a coincidence, it might not. Nothing is obviously definitive and may never be, but I just thought I'd share.

mattcoug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Maybe put them back into the QT and see if they recover.

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last 6 months ( not a very long time at all), I scoured over research, readings and people all over regarding this fish and the difficulty in keeping one. Its been said, that high oxygen and nigh protein foods are the key. Makes sense, considering almost every fish needs that. It also has been said this fish is most likely missing something from their diet that they get in the wild. Im nearly 100% sure of that fact. But an interesting thing happened. I had two idols in QT. Both eating, fat and seemingly healthy (when they finally started eating). No signs of weight loss, no visible spine, just perfectly fat fish. Once I added then to the DT, within a week, the bigger ones' spine started to show, even though this fish goes through 6-8 sheets of nori a day - not kidding . Bellies looked fat, but still didn't seem as fat as when it barely ate in QT. I brought this up to one of the most reputable stores in my area. I brought up the research that most tang lovers ( at least) have seen,that long term/steady use of carbon can cause lateral line disease or has been linked to contribute in causing it. They also agreed that carbon and Moorish Idols could be an issue and that some of their studies were also pointing to this. It might be a coincidence, it might not. Nothing is obviously definitive and may never be, but I just thought I'd share.
Carbon dosing or carbon reactor/filter?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had carbon with my idol the entire time I've had it. I do believe it may contribute to hlle though but because of their diet, luck, etc my fish don't seem to have it including my yellow belly hippo

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 171 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back