Moorish Idol

Saul2309

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce my Moorish Gill
I was very skeptic but he was eating a lot at the fish store and so far has been nipping all around my tank especially at the algae clip, which relieves me a bit.
He does have a few white spots which look like ich but so far I have had a few outbreaks in my tank with no deaths.
Please let me know what you guys think and if you have any insight on this fish, I know they are hard to keep but wanted to give it a try.
Best reefing to everyone!

IMG_2651.jpeg IMG_2650.jpeg IMG_2652.jpeg IMG_2649.jpeg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very skeptic but he was eating a lot at the fish store and so far has been nipping all around my tank especially at the algae clip, which relieves me a bit.
He does have a few white spots which look like ich but so far I have had a few outbreaks in my tank with no deaths.
Please let me know what you guys think and if you have any insight on this fish, I know they are hard to keep but wanted to give it a try.

They’re super awesome. I’m not brave enough to try one yet but some day! Keep us updated on how he does.

I am curious: how are you managing ich?

OP
OP
S

Saul2309

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re super awesome. I’m not brave enough to try one yet but some day! Keep us updated on how he does.

I am curious: how are you managing ich?
I have a sailfin, blue tang and coral beauty whoch all got ich, the solution was heavy and varied feeding, uv sterilizer and i would dose polyp lab but idk how much that helped, from time to time they get one max two spots but they stay healthy

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I am dealing with ich right now and doing exactly the same. Thus far, I am seeing improvements in the number of spots and all of the fish are active and eating like champs. Just nerve wrecking since the last time I dealt with ich most of my fish died. Crossing my fingers that I can successfully manage it like you have!
I have a sailfin, blue tang and coral beauty whoch all got ich, the solution was heavy and varied feeding, uv sterilizer and i would dose polyp lab but idk how much that helped, from time to time they get one max two spots but they stay healthy

OP
OP
S

Saul2309

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I am dealing with ich right now and doing exactly the same. Thus far, I am seeing improvements in the number of spots and all of the fish are active and eating like champs. Just nerve wrecking since the last time I dealt with ich most of my fish died. Crossing my fingers that I can successfully manage it like you have!
Also I forgot, it looks like it does help a lot of people, I keep my tank in the higher temp range, 80-82 degrees

OP
OP
S

Saul2309

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I forgot, it looks like it does help a lot of people, I keep my tank in the higher temp range, 80-82 degrees
Accelerates the stage where the ich latches which seems to help the fishes with stress

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a beauty!
its on my wish list for my up and coming 200/275 FOWLR tank.
they can be hard to get eating so you're off to a good start.

I hear my the fish food massstick is nice to have around as they are used to pick food off of rock and what not.

hope it makes it. best of luck!

OP
OP
S

Saul2309

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a beauty!
its on my wish list for my up and coming 200/275 FOWLR tank.
they can be hard to get eating so you're off to a good start.

I hear my the fish food massstick is nice to have around as they are used to pick food off of rock and what not.

hope it makes it. best of luck!
Thank you so far so good, day 2 I saw him pecking at the algae clip but wouldn’t eat the actual nori leaf, I fed frozen brine and went crazy for it, doesn’t stop pecking around the tank, i have a good amount of algae, sponge and microfauna, so for now I have high hopes

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great looking fish!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back