Moray Eels - Creepy or Cool?

Slayvoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes them appeal so much to you? Part of me thinks they are cool but majority of me is creeped out by them and their faces/slithering bodies. I want to like them because I can totally see them being a fun addition to a tank.

Was anyone else who is now a fan of moray eels originally creeped out by them? If so, what changed your opinion?

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is "both" a good answer? LOL...

I love moray eels; they're really different from any other fish out there and some of the more ornate types are truly beautiful. That said, my first thought when I see a 2-3' moray in a tank is "there's no way I'm sticking my hand in there"... ;)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a snowflake and I love it. I really became interested with an eel after my wonderful wife nixed my idea having a ball python The compromise was she would let me get an eel.

spscrackhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are definitely interesting... LOL
We make an effort to have as diverse tanks as possible to some extent. And there is nothing else in your tank that will behave like an eel. IMO moray are a bit more creepy than slowflakes or something like a blue ribbon.

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehh I've always found them an irresponsible purchase/ sale. Most of the time they outgrow the tank they're in and people try to get rid of them at stores...
I had some guy trying to sell me his Hawaiian dragon eel for about 3 months now and I don't want anything to do with that beast....

OP
OP
Slayvoff

Slayvoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehh I've always found them an irresponsible purchase/ sale. Most of the time they outgrow the tank they're in and people try to get rid of them at stores...
I had some guy trying to sell me his Hawaiian dragon eel for about 3 months now and I don't want anything to do with that beast....
Wow. That thing is straight out of Hell.

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they look pretty cool but I don't see one in my tank in the foreseeable future since I like to work a lot in my tank and I don't want the chance of getting bit. But they are so cool to look at.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The great thing about my snowflake is that it is a pebble toothed moray eel. Eats small crustaceans. Never has it been interested in my hands. I love olaf.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think eels are awesome. Just like anything else if bought and put in an appropriate sized tank with proper filtration then I can't see how it's a irresponsible purchase?? If that's the case then I guess most fish we buy can be considered irresponsible. I'd buy a Japanese dragon eel in a heartbeat if I could house him properly. Gotta love a big predator tank!

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a tank big enough I would take one. Those things look amazing.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Creepy..and...cool.

But, you usually only see their head, if that, since they seem to like to stay hidden away in daylight!

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The great thing about my snowflake is that it is a pebble toothed moray eel. Eats small crustaceans. Never has it been interested in my hands. I love olaf.
I have to say that Olaf is one of the best names I've ever heard for a snowflake moray.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like eels. I think they are interesting. I love reptiles including snakes so these would combine both hobbies for me :) However I don't have a large enough tank to keep an eel

frank@wall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my 2 golden dwarfs. They are always curious and do not bother any of the other tank mates. Feeding them is fun.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like eels. I think they are interesting. I love reptiles including snakes so these would combine both hobbies for me :) However I don't have a large enough tank to keep an eel
My son still begs my wife for a snake. She just won't bend on No snakes in the house

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Creepy..and...cool.

But, you usually only see their head, if that, since they seem to like to stay hidden away in daylight!
Olaf comes out right befor lights out and cruises the tank.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son still begs my wife for a snake. She just won't bend on No snakes in the house
I used to have a Brazilian Rainbow Boa. IMO one of the most beautiful snakes

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a Brazilian Rainbow Boa. IMO one of the most beautiful snakes
They are beautiful. But she won't let us have one. She says eels can't live out of water. I just won't tell they can for a while.

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Eel! My favorite in my tank. Doesn't bother anyone. My shrimp cleans Her mouth daily. She eats like a pig, and give me lots of nitrates!
IMG_2439.jpg

Back