More about rhomboid wrasse? And other wrasse questions

SkipperTheSohalTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to learn more about rhomboids! My LFS have a mated pair that I would love to put in my reef. Would they be compatible with an adorned/costemus or mccoskers flashers wrasse in a 30 gallon? I know everyone says this, but I will be upgrading and moving either the pair or the single wrasse to my new build! And what is risk of the wrasses getting ick, it's been about 2-3 months since I have had any fish or has ick been present. Thanks, Austin

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to learn more about rhomboids! My LFS have a mated pair that I would love to put in my reef. Would they be compatible with an adorned/costemus or mccoskers flashers wrasse in a 30 gallon? I know everyone says this, but I will be upgrading and moving either the pair or the single wrasse to my new build! And what is risk of the wrasses getting ick, it's been about 2-3 months since I have had any fish or has ick been present. Thanks, Austin

A 30g tank is just too small for rhomboid fairy wrasses and the H. cosmetus. None of those wrasses are difficult to acquire. You (and especially the fish) would be better off to wait until you upgrade.

Regarding ich, if the tank has been fishless for 9 weeks, then you should be good to go. Just keep in mind if the new fish have not been properly quarantined, there is no guarantee that the fish won't be infected.

In the wild, fairy wrasses don't bond as pairs as many other fish do, but instead setup harems with 1 dominant male and several females. In captivity, most females will transition to male (and usually rather quickly). While males can co-exist peacefully in larger aquariums, this can be disastrous in a small tank.

OP
OP
SkipperTheSohalTang

SkipperTheSohalTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 30g tank is just too small for rhomboid fairy wrasses and the H. cosmetus. None of those wrasses are difficult to acquire. You (and especially the fish) would be better off to wait until you upgrade.

Regarding ich, if the tank has been fishless for 9 weeks, then you should be good to go. Just keep in mind if the new fish have not been properly quarantined, there is no guarantee that the fish won't be infected.

In the wild, fairy wrasses don't bond as pairs as many other fish do, but instead setup harems with 1 dominant male and several females. In captivity, most females will transition to male (and usually rather quickly). While males can co-exist peacefully in larger aquariums, this can be disastrous in a small tank.

From what I've seen and heard so far is that these guys mostly run in pairs and 3 or more have territorial issues

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pair has been bonded for a while and has been QT'd by the store
As Terry stated, "bonding" does not occur. It's a dominant/submissive relationship.

From what I've seen and heard so far is that these guys mostly run in pairs and 3 or more have territorial issues
That's simply incorrect. Wild harems will consist of dozens of females to a few sub-males with one dominant male in the mix.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 151 43.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 53 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back