More evidence to avoid dottybacks in a community reef

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had no idea they (or some) could shift in coloration to mimic the prey; pretty awesome. I love the neons; had one in a shop tank that was well behaved for years and another in my own that was the spawn of satan to half the inhabitants. I'll probably give it a shot again when the 150g is up and running.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Splendid Dottybacks. Gorgeous fish. I don't even believe they're aggressive.

I had the other version of the bi-color dottyback, the half purple, half orange fish (can't remember the name), and even though he wasn't the dottyback, he was a nasty little thing. That little guy would make a run at my Harlequin Tusk, who was king of the tank, and the Tusk would turn around and open his jaws and the little purple guy would never back down by his rock. Good thing he was small. But I accidentally threw him out with his rock. He went in an internal cavern of his rock and I thought he moved to another rock when I picked his up. It was a week of not seeing him that I realized he was probably hiding in his rock when I tossed it.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Splendid Dottybacks. Gorgeous fish. I don't even believe they're aggressive.

I had the other version of the bi-color dottyback, the half purple, half orange fish (can't remember the name), and even though he wasn't the dottyback, he was a nasty little thing. That little guy would make a run at my Harlequin Tusk, who was king of the tank, and the Tusk would turn around and open his jaws and the little purple guy would never back down by his rock. Good thing he was small. But I accidentally threw him out with his rock. He went in an internal cavern of his rock and I thought he moved to another rock when I picked his up. It was a week of not seeing him that I realized he was probably hiding in his rock when I tossed it.

I thought Splendids got big, like 8.5" They are cool looking fish, but I don't know if I would trust it like some of the more docile dotty's mentioned earlier in the thread.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Splendids got big, like 8.5" They are cool looking fish, but I don't know if I would trust it like some of the more docile dotty's mentioned earlier in the thread.

Splendens only get between 3-4 inches normally. I think the biggest recorded was between 5 and 6 inches. I wouldn't put them I the peaceful camp but rather the hold their own catagory where you should be ok with bigger more territorial species, something like more timid triggers or moderate sized angels. I have seen some that behaved themselves but my guess is they could potentially become worse as they mature.

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Royal Dottyback. He seems to show aggression to new additions for a couple of hours then just forgets about their existence. I suppose he recognizes that they're no threat. This has happened with a fireshrimp, a cardinal and, most recently, a Mandarin.
All seems good now although he sometimes chases the cardinal at feeding times.
Just a contented fish with a full belly and plenty of room.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back