More hitchhikers

Aneal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with the crabs that fell out of the new live rock from FL, I've found a few other hitchhikers. Orange thing - a sponge? Anemone looking thing - majano? And what the heck is that black thing? I was trying to get pics of the anemone looking thing and saw something dart back into the rock. The outside looks black, and it moves pretty quickly back into a small hole in the rock.

0116191939b.jpeg
0116191939c.jpeg
0116191939_HDR.jpeg
0116191931.jpeg

OP
OP
Aneal

Aneal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not a majano, not exactly sure what it is tho. The orange thing is definitely a sponge.
I wasn't sure on it either. I moved a piece of macro algae so I could get a pic and it closed up, then slowly opened back up

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a type of anemone that occurs in the Gulf, but not a majano - those are indio-pacific. We don't have them in the gulf. I had one on my TBS rock also, but it didn't live past the first six months.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking, it is a type of rock flower anemone.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's been identified before as a curlicue anemone, Bartholomea annulata, on the other forum ( http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2568344 ) and while the picture on the post is correct it looks different to me than all the other pictures of Bartholomea annulata. Richard from TBS says they call it a "banded bulb anemone".

I found it one time on a Florida marine life site and they listed it as unclassified. Regardless, it is not a majano anemone and not invasive.

OP
OP
Aneal

Aneal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's been identified before as a curlicue anemone, Bartholomea annulata, on the other forum ( http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2568344 ) and while the picture on the post is correct it looks different to me than all the other pictures of Bartholomea annulata. Richard from TBS says they call it a "banded bulb anemone".

I found it one time on a Florida marine life site and they listed it as unclassified. Regardless, it is not a majano anemone and not invasive.
Well at least that's good. I was searching last night before you responded and couldn't find anything that looked quite right.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one in the first photos?

Looks more like a common bristle worm to me.

_Love_ Florida liverock! Wish aquacultured rock were available from more regions, but grateful we have it from FL.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Aneal

Aneal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one in the first photos?

Looks more like a common bristle worm to me.

_Love_ Florida liverock! Wish aquacultured rock were available from more regions, but grateful we have it from FL.

~Bruce
Thanks! I thought it was a bristle worm so I wasn't concerned about that one. There's a small black tube thing sticking out of the rock behind the sponge that kind of weirds me out.

Screenshot_2019-01-17-04-55-20.jpeg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you touch it (poke it with a stick?), does it retract?

It looks like it might be part of another sponge (which would not pull in if touched) or a tunicate (which might).

Both are welcome, harmless filter feeders.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Aneal

Aneal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you touch it (poke it with a stick?), does it retract?

It looks like it might be part of another sponge (which would not pull in if touched) or a tunicate (which might).

Both are welcome, harmless filter feeders.

~Bruce
It reacts. There are multiple close to each other.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be tunicates then. Some are called sea-squirts or sea-grapes; they're classed as invertebrates, but they're in Phylum Chordata, just like clownfish - and me. They're filter-feeders, straining organic particles from the water.

Sadly, they often don't stay long in our tanks.

~Bruce

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back