More than one lionfish in a 120g? Stocking question

caesarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there,

I am currently thinking about getting more fish for my 120g/500l (without sump volume) tank (51x24x24in / 130x60x60cm). I currently have a dwarf zebra lion, a large melanurus wrasse, a tomini tang and a small copperband in there. Could I get more fish or am I already capped out? And if more fish are possible what fish could I add? I was thinking about getting one or two more lions but different species and/or an snowflake eel. What would you recommend me? I am open for any input.

Thanks for your answers! Have a nice day!

Edit 1: My tank is a reef tank so keeping non coral safe fish is not my intention.

Last edited:

waterboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start by saying I’m new to reefing and really don’t know anything. Just sharing a video I found of a 40 gallon breeder tank with 3 lion fish. I would assume that this tank is way to small for this much going on, but it was a featured tank by marine depot. This example is likely the exception to the rule and probably not advisable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

caesarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start by saying I’m new to reefing and really don’t know anything. Just sharing a video I found of a 40 gallon breeder tank with 3 lion fish. I would assume that this tank is way to small for this much going on, but it was a featured tank by marine depot. This example is likely the exception to the rule and probably not advisable.

This exact video was my inspiration that brought up my idea of getting a real predator reef. Of course this tank is mostly filled with leathers but it is unbelievable gorgeous. I am also the opinion that theres too much going on in this small tank thats one of the reasons why I was asking about wheter it is possible to get more fish in that tank or if I am already capped.

Thanks for the reply, it is truely a one of a kind tank!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is what I call a photo op tank, that tank literally has no chance for success and has been thrown together to get fabulous photos.

i currently have a 90g with 4 lions and a rhino, years up, and this exact tank has housed multiple lions for over a decade, so your tank size is fine for another lion or two. What I would be concerned with is filtration, think about adding a refugium, an algae reactor or a hang on variety. If you are able to effectively filter and maintain water quality you may consider the eel. For me with that that level of bioload, a work horse protein skimmer and macro algae would be a must.

OP
OP
C

caesarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I call a photo op tank, that tank literally has no chance for success and has been thrown together to get fabulous photos.

i currently have a 90g with 4 lions and a rhino, years up, and this exact tank has housed multiple lions for over a decade, so your tank size is fine for another lion or two. What I would be concerned with is filtration, think about adding a refugium, an algae reactor or a hang on variety. If you are able to effectively filter and maintain water quality you may consider the eel. For me with that that level of bioload, a work horse protein skimmer and macro algae would be a must.
I do have an oversized skimmer for this tank the RSK-600 from Red Sea. Currently there is a macro algae in my display but its probably not growing fast because of the lack of NO3. My phosphates are at 0.06 and my Nitrate is 0 (Red Sea tests).

What species would you add? I thought about radiata and antennata...

Edit: Maybe a scorpion?

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the medium bodied lions would work well, as long as you can manage water quality your additions would be fine. Pretty much any scorps avail would work and all the lions except the big ones, volitan, Russells, miles.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful, all of the fish you mentioned are compatible with each other, only if they are big enough to not be eaten by a lion. A small copperband will be on the menu for a lion that is the same size or even larger. Lions have very large mouths and a small cbb will be on the menu.

OP
OP
C

caesarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the medium bodied lions would work well, as long as you can manage water quality your additions would be fine. Pretty much any scorps avail would work and all the lions except the big ones, volitan, Russells, miles.
Great then I am going to order at least one lion and maybe the eel and a scorpion! Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
C

caesarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful, all of the fish you mentioned are compatible with each other, only if they are big enough to not be eaten by a lion. A small copperband will be on the menu for a lion that is the same size or even larger. Lions have very large mouths and a small cbb will be on the menu.
They are together for about 3 months now and I havent witnessed any aggression or interest at all. The CBB is large enough to not fit in the mouth

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are together for about 3 months now and I havent witnessed any aggression or interest at all. The CBB is large enough to not fit in the mouth
As long as its big enough all will be good! You have to treat all lionfish just like the catfish of the freshwater world, if it fits then it gets eaten eventually.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd get a zebra moray and baby volitan lion so the CBB has time to outgrow it. Is this a reef or fish only? If fish only you should be fine with just the skimmer and large water changes every few weeks. Only feed the lions and the eel every few days.

OP
OP
C

caesarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get a zebra moray and baby volitan lion so the CBB has time to outgrow it. Is this a reef or fish only? If fish only you should be fine with just the skimmer and large water changes every few weeks. Only feed the lions and the eel every few days.
It is indeed a reef tank. When I witness nutrients becoming a problem I will get algae reactor or other methods to remove the excess. Thanks for the heads up!

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is indeed a reef tank. When I witness nutrients becoming a problem I will get algae reactor or other methods to remove the excess. Thanks for the heads up!
What sort of corals are you keeping? A snowflake eel isn't as reef safe as a zebra moray but it's certainly a high bio-load if that 120g is a reef.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your problem with both the snowflake and the zebra are exactly the same. You wont be able to keep a cuc alive very long. They love crunchy critters, its their main diet. And corals without a CUC of some sort will be very difficult. Not to mention keeping nitrates down. I have a 18" snowflake and a 15" indian mud moray in my fowlr tank, and they are very messy eaters and nitrate bombs fyi.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 40g ran and was beautiful for a couple years.

Obviously tanks like this need to either be upgraded or changed eventually as a lion can't live its entire life in a 40g. Felicia knew that and mentioned it in her nano-reef feature.

It is not something I would do though but grow-out tanks can be okay for experienced hobbyists who have money to upgrade for real. It isn't okay when someone puts a bunch of potentially large/messy fish in a nano and says they will upgrade but they can't seem to even afford basic things for their tank already. You are not fooling me :p

Anywho.. the OP has a 120g not a 40g so they already got a lot more space :) Predator tanks are cool and I definitely like the soft corals over just FOWLR. We don't see enough predator tanks!

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to not enough predator tanks!!! One of mine I would consider is a predator tank, I have a dog face puffer, valentini puffer, blue throat trigger, niger trigger, humu trigger, snowflake eel, indian mud moray eel, atlantic pinfish, grey snapper, and the boss of the tank a clown tang.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back