Most challenging corals on your reef? Mixed, Softies or Sps?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming from a shroom dominant system mine may be biased but based on what ive seen and told about the harder sps im growing.
I have to say when it comes to overall finnicky, primadonna, light and flow sensitive, wrong time of the year, sneezy, bad tummy ache, headache, don't look at me and just overall fussy "critters" in my tank I'm going with shrooms lol. I have a few that take all those cakes.
Whats yours and why?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming from a shroom dominant system mine may be biased but based on what ive seen and told about the harder sps im growing.
I have to say when it comes to overall finnicky, primadonna, light and flow sensitive, wrong time of the year, sneezy, bad tummy ache, headache, don't look at me and just overall fussy "critters" in my tank I'm going with shrooms lol. I have a few that take all those cakes.
Whats yours and why?

I would say in my own tank, Nems are the most finicky. I have 2 RFA that seem to be very happy where they are, but the Condi and BTA have both wandered and have never seemed to find that "sweet spot".

The only other piece I have added recently that really looks unhappy is the "Insane Pacman" SPS that I got from LRO in the recent sale. I am holding on to hope, but...

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What type of fish are in your tank?
midas blenny, yellow coris wrasse, 2 firefish gobies, court jester goby, cleaner shrimp, handful of hermits, emerald crab, 2 pitho crabs. i feed well, and have algae wafers to supplement the crabs. originally thought it was the cleaner shrimp or crabs, but an ICP test revealed high metals which could be the culprit.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats yours and why?
I like ur shrooms what par you keep them at?

rock’n’reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lps! I can’t keep them long term
I kicked my mag goal up to hover around 1400-1500 but usually it runs closer to 1350. My salt mixes closer to 1200 so I had to start adding a good bit. My LPS looks way fluffier and is growing faster now!

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tenuis sadly. Skin gets thin and stn from bottom up. All other acros fine. Nutrients not low.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i get real specific then carnation coral. I have lots of success with other NPS, but cant keep those alive.

More general i would say sps. Only because it can go with no issues so long(years) and then with no changes just start doing poorly(obviously something changes, but none of the easily seen parameters or at times even anything that shows on ICP)

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montipora. You see large ones that cup. Mine hardly grow. One even got STN in one little spot. They look great under the lights. I have other sps that grow quickly. Not monti. My mag 1450, alk 9, calcium 480. I have them, but monti stay as small colorful patches.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Majanos.... impossible to get rid of them once one of them appears

Makes Aiptasia look like a Junior Varsity team

majano5b.jpg

Tmrvstyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My most difficult corals are the birdsnest, they go so fast it creates other problems and ruin others, the picture is after a large hacking back, and it's been done twice more in the last 2 months.

Attachments

• 20211202_192920.jpg
    20211202_192920.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 74

Tabbers920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose I would say zoas.. I have a few varieties that move themselves around. I had 2 plugs too close to the powerhead, and then a 1 or 2 more totally moved upwards.. I didn't want to unjust the lighting because everyone else is happy

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flower pots are the most difficult and surprisingly the most hardy for me is spongodes montipora, so long as there are no nudibranches to eat it. The polyps are always out, even when the GSP is hiding.

View Badges
easiest way to grow anything in a reef tank ,put fish in tank for 8 months feed fish get enough bacteria in tank then put any coral in tank with right parameter and it will grow and stay alive be patient don't hurry this hobby is for life if you can't see yourself do it for longer then a year or 2 don't start it you will stop sooner then that. The hard truth. Keep everything stable

Ttroske

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of them. :). Only ones that are doing OK are a couple of green star polyp's and I think a zoa of some kind(it hitched a ride when the lfs moved the tank ). Frogspawn in trouble. Just retired so spending more time with tank and hope to turn it around

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats yours and why?

mixed macro tank with designer macroalgae is more of a pain to keep then anything imo. Some macro's are actually fairly sensitive such as flamingo algae.

They suck down trace and nutrients which leads to a ton of dosing... if you get pest algae you can't just add a aggressive algae eater like a big turbo, foxface, tang, urchin etc because they will eat the macro too.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back