Most cost effective lighting for 40 breeders?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I MIGHT be moving in the next 6 months, if so I will be "allowed" to change up my tanks. . . IF this happens I will probably go with 2+ 40 breeders with the goal of growing as much coral as possible. . . what lights would you go with and cost is important.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
cheapest? the second hand lights from the marketplace. take your pick based on budget lol

light your tanks with quanta bars..just 4-6 of them(or 8-12 total) or if that’s over budget you can get the aloexpress led bars made to your own spectrum.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 chinese black boxes, or 2 x A7 Gen 2 you can find on Aliexpress, which are basically Kessil knockoff's provided you can borrow someone's phone with google translate to help you navigate though the chinese app.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36" T5 grow light from Amazon. Take your pick. A 6 bulb will allow you to run less bulbs and spread them out further if you don't need all that power. I run a 4' T5 4-bulb over a 50G lowboy and it grows SPS just fine. Just keep in mind that the 40GB is deeper. Then when you have some spare change and the desire later on, you can hang some supplemental LED bars. I highly recommend the Quanta as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back