Most incredible "algae"!

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw something at a little LFS today in a nano on the counter. Guy said it arose spontaneously in a tank that had been running for a couple years. It had 5" long fluid filled fronds that looked like anemone tentacles. They were pinkish with small fluorescing orange beads at the tips. The fronds were grouped tightly together like an anemone as well. There was no body though. Each frond was attached separately to the rock. It was beautiful in the current. He said the clowns had eaten it back a coupla times.

I was so clever I took a video w my phone, but now I'm not clever enough to be able to upload it.

OP
OP
Velodog2

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whao. That was an ordeal! Anyway here it is. Any ID?

[video=youtube_share;sjFXUVaVMcY]http://youtu.be/sjFXUVaVMcY[/video]

OP
OP
Velodog2

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Yeah. There are the two main patches you see and then a couple more tiny growths other places. He said he would sell some if the new patches grew. I asked if he was going to name it Audrey Jr. He looked puzzled a second then laughed. I can't find a pic in Google or Bing images for red algae.

OP
OP
Velodog2

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far best I got is Halymenia elongata. Red finger algae. Haven't found mention of orange tips yet tho. There is also something called flame algae that is a different shape that has orange edges that could be related.

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a type of Halymenia (flame algae is also a kind of Halymenia), with the round branches. Halymenia is flat. Predaea is closer, but never seen one with branches that long.

OP
OP
Velodog2

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped back in to the store that has this algae over the weekend for the first time since I began this thread. It has grown considerably with the main colony about three times that in the video and multiple smaller colonies around the tank. The owner won't sell any yet and has not gotten a good ID.

It is quite fragile. The tubes are water filled and are destroyed under their own weight if removed from the water. So fragging will be challenging. The owner also reported that even under the lowish current in the tank recently a large chunk simply twisted itself off from the base and floated away to be destroyed in the powerheads.

Back