Most reef safe angels?

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's common knowledge that no angel is truly reef safe, that being said they are still commonly kept in reef tanks. Nowadays many people even keep large angels which at one point were considered unequivocally non reef safe. While any angel has a chance of being more of a pest than anything else, what are the angels that are known to have the best success rate in reef tanks? Additionally anyone who has kept the more risky angels in their reefs with success, so you have any advice?

I remember there was a time when something like this was considered unthinkable:
July132009Tankpic4.jpg

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Flame Angel, and 2 Emperor Angels and not one has touched a single coral. They are 2-3 years old in my tank and I have a mixed reef. Now the Flame is a total jerk to other fish and will not allow any new additions fish wise but I’ve added several corals and none of them could careless.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add a Flame Angel to my tank SO bad, but am paranoid it will eat my reef alive! :(
Get them as small as you can and you have a better chance. Each one is different in different tanks. I got mine when he was less then a inch. He is now 3” and just beautiful but a total jerk at the same time lol

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Flame Angel, and 2 Emperor Angels and not one has touched a single coral. They are 2-3 years old in my tank and I have a mixed reef. Now the Flame is a total jerk to other fish and will not allow any new additions fish wise but I’ve added several corals and none of them could careless.

What and how often do you feed them? I have been told that the people who actually have an angel in a reef tank, that they go out of their way to feed/over feed their fish to keep them happy and enhance their ability to stay away from the reef.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get them as small as you can and you have a better chance. Each one is different in different tanks. I got mine when he was less then a inch. He is now 3” and just beautiful but a total jerk at the same time lol

My Chocolate Tang has the honor of the "jerk" of my tank! :D

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you stated nicely, just because someone says that this fish is reef safe or not does not hold true with every fish or all the time. Their are always exceptions to the rule.
Pretty much any Centropyge or Genicanthus species of Angel would be your best bet. I have not had an issue with a Pygmy or Coral Beauty in my small reef tank. I have heard good reviews on some of the other angels.
I would refrain from the Pomacanthus and Holacanthus Angels however, some of that has to do with the size of the tank and what types of corals you have or wish to possess in the future.
Some angels are specialized feeders such as only eating sponges. It’s best to offer angelfish a varied diet of seaweed/ Nori, clam, mysis shrimp, squid, urchin eggs, plankton, sponge and a good vitamin and mineral supplement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oscaror

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you stated nicely, just because someone says that this fish is reef safe or not does not hold true with every fish or all the time. Their are always exceptions to the rule.
Pretty much any Centropyge or Genicanthus species of Angel would be your best bet. I have not had an issue with a Pygmy or Coral Beauty in my small reef tank. I have heard good reviews on some of the other angels.
I would refrain from the Pomacanthus and Holacanthus Angels however, some of that has to do with the size of the tank and what types of corals you have or wish to possess in the future.
I really want to have a majestic angel some day. What's your opinion on that?

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Chocolate Tang has the honor of the "jerk" of my tank! :D
Oh introduce a Flame and that will change!!! ;Hilarious;Hilarious
I feed a pe pellet and mysis mix mid morning and algae ( Nori strips ) mysis, krill, squid, clams mixed around dinner. My tank has plenty aka non Reef safe fish and I’ve had zero coral losses from my fish. Now coral losses do to my mistakes well ;Sorry that’s another story :(

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I try to always jump on these angel threads.
I keep a pair of flames a pair of flame backs and a regal with no real problems in my tank ( see build thread pics).The corals seem to grow well in my opinion.I think one thing most angel keepers notice is minimal polyp extension during the daytime.At night when the fish are sleeping the extension is huge.So imo if ya want polyp extension angels seem to damper it a little but i'm willing to sacrifice it for these beauties.
Oh yea,"Eating your reef alive" with a flame angel is probably never gonna happen.I have kept multiple pairs for the last 20 years with really no issues to speak of.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As juveniles they are fine. As adults they will chew on things just because. 1 buddy had one for 12 years in his 300 and it never touched a coral. He feed his tank 2 times daily and they were lite feedings. Another buddy had one in his 125 and about year 5 it started to chew on everything in his tank and he feed heavy 3 times a day. Personally I think with the larger angels it’s more about tank size and boredom vs keeping them feed well.

OP
OP
Oscaror

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As juveniles they are fine. As adults they will chew on things just because. 1 buddy had one for 12 years in his 300 and it never touched a coral. He feed his tank 2 times daily and they were lite feedings. Another buddy had one in his 125 and about year 5 it started to chew on everything in his tank and he feed heavy 3 times a day. Personally I think with the larger angels it’s more about tank size and boredom vs keeping them feed well.
Thanks for sharing

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Majestic Angels or any of the Pomacanthus species tend to get along well with Tridacna Clams, LPS and soft corals. The Majestic is one of the more docile angel when compared to the other 12 species of Pomacanthus Angels. Their diet consists mainly of tunicates and sponges, so getting them to change their eating habits to something they are not accustomed too, may pose a problem that ultimately could result in death.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks have always been "angel safe" I can't imagine having a reef without multiple large and dwarf angels. IME a few things that help:
- forget soft/meaty corals - which sooner or later become a snack. SPS/Acros are generally fine, you very likely won't see any PE during the day and sometimes there may be damage to the outer mucus layers which I haven't found to be an issue with colonies but could be problematic with frags
- keep frags in a frag tank until you notice growth and they start encrusting
- tank size

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in a tank with LPS and soft corals for a few years without any problems. Then one day all hell broke out and he ripped apart the corals. I almost lost the whole tank due to the dead coral flesh getting stuck in the filters and overflows. The angel did not eat any of the corals, it just seemed like he enjoyed tearing them up. Lived to be 16 years old. I love flames but the last 3 I have tried in my reef tank all nipped at everything including clams.

OP
OP
Oscaror

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in a tank with LPS and soft corals for a few years without any problems. Then one day all hell broke out and he ripped apart the corals. I almost lost the whole tank due to the dead coral flesh getting stuck in the filters and overflows. The angel did not eat any of the corals, it just seemed like he enjoyed tearing them up. Lived to be 16 years old. I love flames but the last 3 I have tried in my reef tank all nipped at everything including clams.
Yikes :(

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back