Most reef safe butterfly for a 120g

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 20, 2018
Messages
3,351
Reaction score
6,021
Location
Durham, North Carolina
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for recommendations for a mostly reef safe butterflyfish that I could house in a 120g tank. The most likely fish to give it problems is an established tomini tang, so a fish with some backbone would be preferred over say a copperband. Thanks!
 
Following! :) I feel "reef safe" butterfly is somewhat of a myth, so would be nice to hear others opinions!
Yeah that's my feeling as well. I've always loved them, but I want to know if any could handle being in a softy and anemone tank. Their movement pattern is fascinating.
 
The pyramid and its close cousin the H. zoster are the only real reef safe butterflies we have in the hobby.

Hopefully the tang doesn't beat on whatever you choose.
 
I agree with Pyramid and Zoster are the only 100%. Copperband, longnose and their close relatives are pretty good bets - they can decimate pod and worm populations, though.
 
I have a kleini, so far so good. Gets along with my tangs
 
Have a 3-some of pyramids and love em. One time they started picking on a gonni, but otherwise mode citizens
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new