mounting Corallimorpharians

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ever mount a Ricordea or mushroom to a plug or rock and the next day it is gone. :hammer: I have, after loosing a couple at 20$-30$ a pop came up with this method that is working pretty well, so thought I would share. I didn't think to take pictures until after fragging them by laceration so I will get pics of that next time around and add to the thread.

Tools
* *- Bridal Netting (Tooling) can get it at any fabric store very cheap
* *- Live Rock or Reef Plug
* *- Scissors
* *- Rubber Band
* *- Small pieces of PVC

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5-1.jpg

After a week or two remove the tooling, PVC and rubberband. If the Ricordea foot attached itself to the PVC I have found you can lightly twist the PVC and it will slide off because of the smooth surface.

Here is one I did on a FHI rock plug.

6-1.jpg

Some distributors put some small pieces of rock chips (not rubble rock) in a container and drop the mushrooms down in. Over the period of a couple weeks they attach to several pieces. The issue I have experienced is that the rock chips are sometimes very small like a 1/4" x 1/4" and it is not large enough for us to get glue on it to mount to our rock. It also will cause the Ric to not mount well using the method I described above or any method for that matter. Half of it will always be swaying in the current. I think that is why a lot say that Rics like low current because 1/2 the shroom is not attached and it is flapping in the current agitating it and causing it to deflate. My personal experience is that if a proper mounting can be achieved they can thrive in moderate indirect current. Yuma’s are much less susceptible to this issue because they move across the rock and are constantly getting a better hold also leaving a piece of its foot behind to re-grow a new mushroom.

If you notice your mushroom is not completely attaching check to see if the foot has these rock chips between it and the substrate. If so you are going to have to pull it out. It is a slimey job and hard to hold on to the shroom but removing it you will be much more successful with a strong complete mounting

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the ideal, I have that problem with the last few, they attached to small sand and rubble, few days later it has floated to another area of the tank, where I don't want it. will try the pvc ring

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back